Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Golden Tiger 7.62x39 124gr FMJ

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Golden Tiger 7.62x39 124gr FMJ

The core/jacket "separation" on the sides is due to the lead core being compressed in the fixture I held the bullet in to section it, while the jacket "sprang" back after the bullet was released from the fixture.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wonder if it tumbles much with that hollow nose. Still not as good as expanding ammo. Sigh.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you're using the x39 for personal defense, there are definitely better rounds. CorBon makes a 123gr DPX round that should perform well.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClearedHot View Post
    If you're using the x39 for personal defense, there are definitely better rounds. CorBon makes a 123gr DPX round that should perform well.
    I'm currently using 5.56 "Optimized" or 64gr Gold Dot in my long-guns, and 127gr +P+ T-Series in my G19 and Speer Gold Dot SB 124gr in my Shield.

The AK is "for fun". I didn't have one, so I bought one. Not sure if I will hunt with it, or not. yet. I cannot find that Corbon load in stock anywhere, but am aware of it.

Feedback Score
    I think Hornady makes a 7.62x39mm defense load. I know they make a 5.45 one.

Everybody knows that .311" bullets at 2,400 fps feel like a wet noodle if they don't fragment or expand.

Although the better choices are, well, better, I think sometimes we forget that even FMJ rifle bullets are still moving at RIFLE speeds and really jack people up. My HD rifle is a short, suppressed AR loaded with 75 gr PPU but if I had to grab an AK or SKS, I'd feel plenty confident using that or any other ammo.

I'm sure someone has already sectioned the projectile from M67 ball but I can't find it. Isn't it supposed to have a nice, big air gap like that, too?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Hornady makes a most excellent defensive loading in 7.62X39, but I am betting this bullet would do a decent job for a non-fragmenting type.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewWiggin View Post
    I think Hornady makes a 7.62x39mm defense load. I know they make a 5.45 one.

Everybody knows that .311" bullets at 2,400 fps feel like a wet noodle if they don't fragment or expand.

Although the better choices are, well, better, I think sometimes we forget that even FMJ rifle bullets are still moving at RIFLE speeds and really jack people up. My HD rifle is a short, suppressed AR loaded with 75 gr PPU but if I had to grab an AK or SKS, I'd feel plenty confident using that or any other ammo.

I'm sure someone has already sectioned the projectile from M67 ball but I can't find it. Isn't it supposed to have a nice, big air gap like that, too?
    M67 doesn't have much of an inclusion at all.

7.62x39 that does not yaw wounds similar to 9mm FMJ.

I don't want to be hit with either, but if I'm the one doing the hitting, and I get a choice, I'd rather hit with something more violent. Why throw a rabbit punch if you have the chance for a good right cross?

Feedback Score
    Are there a lot of 7.62x39mm bullets that are unlikely to yaw after impact? I was under the impression that all spitzer bullets are base heavy and inclined to yaw in tissue. As I understood it, some might yaw earlier but most 7.62x39mm bullets would yaw before exiting an average torso.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewWiggin View Post
    Are there a lot of 7.62x39mm bullets that are unlikely to yaw after impact? I was under the impression that all spitzer bullets are base heavy and inclined to yaw in tissue. As I understood it, some might yaw earlier but most 7.62x39mm bullets would yaw before exiting an average torso.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=E8hL3WtKGY8#!

Missing out on a LOT of potential by having a 5"+ punctuate hole. Limbs, even a small thigh, as well as many organs in the torso will be minimally disrupted. Of course, angle and size of the torso matter, too. Still, sucking for the first 1/2 to 2/3 of the torso traversed is...sucking.

Feedback Score
    Yes, but TSC is a factor at rifle velocities, right?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast