Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Golden Tiger 7.62x39 124gr FMJ

Feedback Score
    Check this out re performance per DocGKR: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19885

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have used this stuff on a lot of pigs and have had less than stellar results. While it works... I don't use it anymore for pigs

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the link. It sounds like it would be reasonable to conclude that most lead core 7.62x39mm will do reasonably well, although that isn't specifically stated. The only cartridge that is explicitly stated to perform poorly is the Russian M43. Commie soft and hollow point loads were said to perform poorly but I presume that was in comparison to Western expanding or fragmenting bullets, not in comparison to lead core ball.

Once again, I'm happy that I stocked up on a bit of M67 when it was cheap.

Feedback Score
    You are welcome.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    From having access to local autopsy reports I know that there is a dramatic difference between the tissue damage results of most average 7.62x39 rounds and the Hornady loading with the V-Max type bullet.
    Last edited by tpd223; 03-09-13 at 13:01.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    From having access to local autopsy reports I know that there is a dramatic difference between the tissue damage results of most average 7.62x39 rounds and the Hornady loading with the V-Max type bullet.
    I've talked to Hornady over the phone and the only tipped bullet they make for 7.62x39mm loading is actually an SST and not an A-Max. I would expect a 123gr SST to do quite well.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    I've been trying to get the Hornadys for a few months now and can't find any. In any event, sounds like an excellent round.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    I've talked to Hornady over the phone and the only tipped bullet they make for 7.62x39mm loading is actually an SST and not an A-Max. I would expect a 123gr SST to do quite well.
    Thought so, that's why I said "type". I will note that two of the autopsies I have seen with that bullet that they acted like large .223varmint rounds, complete fragmentation except for a bit of the base.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    7.62x39 that does not yaw wounds similar to 9mm FMJ.
    I'd like to disagree with this statement. 7.62x39 has substantially greater wounding capacity than 9mm, even in cases where the bullet does not yaw. I have found injuries 3-4 inches away from the bullet track in wounds with a 7.62x39, and had at least 2 cases where the bullet did not enter the thoracic cavity at all and still caused death by visceral organ disruption. That does not occur with a 9mm. The extent of tissue damage along the wound track is also much more significant in a 7.62x39.

In pigs, it may be different, but in humans, 7.62x39 does not wound similarly to a 9mm FMJ.

Feedback Score
    As mentioned here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19885, when discussing 7.62x39 mm it is important to identify which projectile is being addressed, as their characteristics are highly variable. There is ample evidence both in OCONUS combat and in CONUS crime scenes that when 7.62x39 mm remains point forward without upsetting, the wounds are similar to those caused by 9 mm M882 ball. When the bullet upsets during tissue, then more widespread damage is noted.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast