Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Muzzle flash photos and sound tests. PWS FFC556 compared.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    This all related back to flash. I am thinking I can hear the flash combustion.
    Flash combustion? Are you sure you aren't hearing rapidly expanding gases and hot air? I'm pretty sure that's what the boom is...

Come on, you know this...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sure, but sound is measured by its pressure. DB is a measurement of weight.

In some occupations, db is a measure of power.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Why don't we just wait and see how many db louder/quieter the FSC556 is than the A2?

db is a consistant unit of measure, therefor it is accurate for this comparison and that should be well enough.

We can over-analyze anything. I just want to see the results

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SuicideHz View Post
    Flash combustion? Are you sure you aren't hearing rapidly expanding gases and hot air? I'm pretty sure that's what the boom is...

Come on, you know this...
    There is the gunshot, and then a secondary flash outside the barrel. I am suggesting this secondary flash adds more sound.

Feedback Score
    Have you measured the Vltor device by chance?

Feedback Score
    No, I have not.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    There is the gunshot, and then a secondary flash outside the barrel. I am suggesting this secondary flash adds more sound.
    What do you mean, gunshot?

You do NOT hear the combustion that takes place inside the barrel, only that which takes place outside the barrel.

Your ears and brain aren't fast enough to hear two separate events like the ignition of the primer and the rapid expansion of gases outside of the barrel and recognize them as separate.

If that were the case, you'd hear the click when your hammer hits the firing pin too.

Feedback Score
    I mean the flash makes an additional sound, I think, over the normal barrel discharge.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Isn't the flash the barrel discharge? I mean, it's one in the same.

Granted, there is a little bit of fire contained in the barrel and then it get's "bigger" once outside of the barrel but it's all the same "stuff" created by the same event.

Look at combustion engines for example. You have the standard gasoline engine and then you have diesel. Diesel has a distinct sound, wouldn't you agree?

The reason diesel has a distinct sound is because the diesel fuel is sprayed into the cylinder at supersonic speed and that extra pinging or rattling you hear is the little particles breaking the sound barrier and transmitting sound through the engine walls.

Now, in a gasoline engine you don't hear anything except for the exhaust.

Point is, the actual combustion taking place inside the metal engine makes no real noise- the only real noise is the noice the expanding gases make during their exit.

Luckily cars have long exhaust systems and mufflers and therefore no flames coming out but if you removed the exhaust after the headers/manifold, you'd see flames just like the muzzle of a barrel and the engine would be ten times as loud.

That's where the noise comes from- the exiting and rapidly expanding hot gases. There's no other significant measurable noise created inside during combustion.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SuicideHz View Post
    Isn't the flash the barrel discharge? I mean, it's one in the same.
    No, secondary muzzle flash is a separate event that either happens or does not happen based on a few conditions. One needs extra fuel (unburned powder), oxygen (from the air), and a source of ignition (heat).

It is easy to have unburned powder because propellant contains more fuel than oxidizer. This is done on purpose to reduce barrel erosion. This extra fuel does not ignite in the barrel for a few reasons -- one is just that there is no more oxidizer in the powder and more does not arrive until it sees the air.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast