Thread: Review: Bushnell Elite Tactical 1-6.5x (BTR-2 Reticle/FFP)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Review: Bushnell Elite Tactical 1-6.5x (BTR-2 Reticle/FFP)

Bushnell was kind enough to send me one of their 1-6.5x24 "Elite Tactical" scopes to "T&E" with their BTR-2 reticle with a FFP (First Focal Plane) model #ET1624J.

I am going to use this thread to add my findings over the next month while I have it for testing.

To put a bit of context on my experience with magnified optics, I have been running a Trijicon TR24G 1-4x for the past 3+ years on my patrol/duty carbine. That has been my only (extended) experience with a quality magnified optic. I have run my TR24G Triji at multiple monthly club and LE matches. I have also run it at the NPRC (National Patrol Rifle Competition) held up near Detroit, MI. So while I have put my TR24G Triji to good use over the past few years, my experience is very limited with other makes & manufacturers magnified optics.

I'll start it off with a few pics and some initial impressions of the scope....

Packaging:

Mounted on my work carbine in a LaRue Tactical LT-139 SPR-E mount. (My test bed will be my custom built by me, Noveske 16" SS middy work carbine):

Reticle:

Here is my attempt at some indoor reticle cellphone pics. Illumination was set on the #6 brightness setting for theses pics:

1x:

3x:

6.5x:

6.5x (No illumination):

Weight: 18.5oz (compared to 15oz with my Triji TR24G for reference)

Length: 10.50" (Bushnell) vs. 10.25" (Triji TR24G)

The Bushnell feels very well built. It is made in Japan (As is my Triji) so I expect the quality to be excellent.

The only thing that has me slightly concerned is the durability of the adjustable pop-up turrets. They appear to be made of plastic? They are covered turrets of course, but with the Mil/hash reticle I can imagine dialing with this scope isn't something that would be out of the question. Going off of "feel", I think a normal impact to the ground could damage the pop-up turrets if left uncovered. Everything else about this scope feels very solid.

Turrets:

Glass is as good as anything I have ever handled/shot within this class of scope. I have very limited hands-on/shooting experience with the new Vortex 1-6x, the new (yet to be released) Leupold 1-6x and the 1-6x Elcan Specter.

Illumination seems to work perfectly in all lighting conditions I have available to me today. I plan to take it out a couple of times over the next week and take some more outdoor reticle pics for this review.

Standbye over the next few days & weeks for more detailed info as I run the Bushnell through it's paces....

Stay safe,
    Nick
    Last edited by nickdrak; 11-03-12 at 11:47.
    "The future's uncertain, and the end is always near." Jim Morrison

"Fortuitous outcomes reinforce poor training and tactics"