Thread: Want to say thanks for the help!!!!!

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Want to say thanks for the help!!!!!

Recently I have posted several questions on this forum regarding a build or "upgrade" I have been in the process of. Everyone on this forum has been extremely helpful and polite in answering my questions, so I wanted to say thanks and share my story.

Years ago I purchased an AR-15 to use as my patrol rifle. I recently decided to turn it into a serious home defense carbine and jumped on this forum, as well as others for research. I quickly learned about "the chart" and decided to upgrade the entire upper of my rifle on a limmited budget (I have two custom 1911's in the works so extra money is tight right now).

I was able to peice together an colt upper with a colt 14.5" M-4 barrel. I sent the entire package to a known smith and he tuned it up and pinned and welded the YHM break onto the barrel to make it 16". He upgraded my extractor insert and spring, as it has the rifle spring and blue insert, and polished the M-4 feed ramps (probably not necessary, but peace of mind).

I got the upper back yesterday, and headed to the range today. 200 flawless rounds later I am a happy camper! The gun currently has irons only, but I have a BUIS already and a comp M4 on the way! I am also waiting on a MI front sight base flashlight mount, and will add a surefire scout light to that, along with a Magpul MOE handguard. All said and done, with trading and making deals I was able to put together the true colt upper (all colt parts) for $400 total! Now I feel like I have a top quality HD carbine that won't let me down.

I will post pics as soon as the other parts arrive.

Thanks for all the help.
    Last edited by Dos Cylindros; 03-29-14 at 21:39.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Always the best place to get the most meaningful first hand information.
    "Facit Omina Voluntas = The Will Decides" - Army Chief