Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding my Remy 700 (?): A few questions.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Rebuilding my Remy 700 (?): A few questions.

After finishing up my budget Remy 700 build, it appears that I have pretty much reached the accuracy potential of this rifle and I would like to improve upon it.

Basic SPS T with B&C stock, skim bedded, BO bottom metal inlet by GA Precision, and Weaver FFP 3-15x50 HDMR scope.

The rifle shoots nicely at .7-.9 MOA at 100y with 155-168gr handloads and quality 168 gr match ammo. Longer ranges do not appear to be as accurate. For example, the best I can manage at 500y has been ~ 1.5 MOA (shooting back to back with a TRG22 same day and course I was getting .9 MOA). Multiple repeated observations with similar results beyond 500y.

At any rate, I've decided to proceed with a "relatively inexpensive" course of upgrades and would like some advice.

Application
    This is my fun gun that I will use for paper and steel. My local range is limited to 300m, so that where I'll do the majority of my shooting. I do have the opportunity to shoot 1000y+ about 6-10 times per year (several days per outing) and have been doing so for several years. Also have a couple of 600-1000y ranges I can drive to in a day trip if I want to increase long range shooting frequency.

Action
    I going to retain the stock action since it was a gift from a family member, but have it trued by RWSnyder.

Bolt/handle/knob
    Fluted PTG with Mini M16 extractor. Slightly oversize to allow for precise milling The stock bolt is timed quite poorly, FYI. PTG handle with BO or PTG knob.

Barrel
    Bartlein 0.299/.308 #13 Sendero profile, 5R, 1:11.25 twist. I don't plan on shooting much above 175gr FWIW. Chambered and installed by RWSnyder. I'm leaning toward 22" length. On the fence with respect to threading for muzzle device as I don't anticipate using a can or brake. However, I've made that mistake before...

Rail/rings
    BO 20 MOA rail and BO rings

Stock/chassis
    Intially, I'll use the above in my current stock. I've some time on an AICS chassis with VIper Skins/pistol grip and really like that setup so I may go that route. May also consider JAE-700 if I can get my hands on one to test, but they're currently at 10-12 month lead time. Both use AI mags which I prefer right now as I'm pretty heavily invested in these. Also looking at W3, Manners (with mini chassis) and XLR chassis.

Trigger
    No idea. I'm not unhappy with the stock trigger, but I realize there's lots of room for improvement. Advice appreciated.

Optic
    Sticking with the Weaver for now, but am not happy with magnification at 600y and beyond, particularly in the desert where I shoot long range stuff. Getting old, I guess. Will very likely upgrade at some point.

Other/accessories
    If I go with the AICS, I'll ikely use a BT19/BT20 to mount my QD Accu-Shot bipod. If JAE or similar, I can mount the bipod to a pic rail on the stock.

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Warg; 08-13-12 at 23:16.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Man! I wouldn't dump that barrel yet...

Try some 175 SMKs and 178 AMAX bullets. And you're screwing yourself BIG TIME with the Stock trigger. Get a Timney.

My SPS Tactical shoots heavier stuff under MOA with ease. If it's in the groove and so am I, I can get 3 rounds under 2 inches on the steel at 500.

With a relatively short barrel, you should be lobbing heavier bullets.
    Last edited by markm; 08-08-12 at 14:45.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Man! I wouldn't dump that barrel yet...

Try some 175 SMKs and 178 AMAX bullets. And you're screwing yourself BIG TIME with the Stock trigger. Get a Timney.

My SPS Tactical shoots heavier stuff under MOA with ease. If it's in the groove and so am I, I can get 3 rounds under 2 inches on the steel at 500.

With a relatively short barrel, you should be lobbing heavier bullets.
    Thanks for the input. My post wasn't clear, but I've tried everything up to 190gr with best results using handloaded 155gr and factory 168gr. It's certainly possible that I need to work on developing some better heavier handloads for the barrel.

I'd be ecstatic if I could hit steel at 500 with anything less than a 5 inch group.

This is still a "noodling" exercise, so I'll may buy the Timney and try it for a few months.

I assume the standard Remy 700 w/safety model is the one to get?

Feedback Score
    factory guns are always pot luck. some shoot well, some don't. my speculation is it depends heavily on how dull the reamer was when your barrel was chambered, how well they indicated it in, how squared up your action is, some unicorn and rainbow stuff, and probably most important, whether it was 4pm on a friday afternoon...

if it consistently shoots crappy with all ammo, maybe check the crown or find a friend with a bore scope

you might also try bedding the stock you have

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warg View Post
    Basic SPS T with B&C stock, skim bedded, BO bottom metal inlet by GA Precision, and Weaver FFP 5-15 HDMR scope
    I wouldn't say sub-MOA is crappy and it consistently shoots .7-.9" groups. No appreciable difference before bedding or in the flimsy Remy stock, BTW. I do know folks are getting .5" groups at 100 with these, but certainly doesn't apply to everyone. Naturally, you only hear about the .5" rifles on the internet.

Wth regard to a Friday afternoon build, you guys should see how poorly timed the bolt is. It's probably 3/32" away from the cam in the action when unlocking. This is what sort of led me down the action truing -> barrel chambering -> new barrel path.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Warg View Post
    Naturally, you only hear about the .5" rifles on the internet.
    Come shoot with me or a few others here. We'll show you .5 moa rifles in person.

Get a manners stock with mini chassis.
    Get a timney 510 trigger.
    Do a proper ladder and work up a load for 175SMK's.

Might get you there, might not. Worthwhile upgrades in any event.

Have you shot a true 1/4 moa or 1/2 moa rifle to determine if you are even capable of shooting that well?

If I had a $5 bill for every time someone handed me a rifle claiming it was dogshit, only to have them watch me put 5 shots at 100yds inside a quarter...

I don't know you, so I don't know your ability... but there is a metric asston (that's a lot) of skill that separates 1/2 moa shooters from 1 moa shooters.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Orkan- Thanks for the reply.

Indeed, I have seen and shot .5 MOA rifles. In fact, I own two: one I can occasionally shoot to .5 MOA and other I cannot. Close on the latter, but not quite. At any rate, I was referring to all of those "0.5 MOA" out of the box Remy 700s, BTW.

I concur that there is a metric asston (or is it ass ton?) of difference, possibly more, between ½ and 1 MOA shooters. In fact, I think there is probably a metric asston of difference between ¾ moa and ½ or sub-½ MOA shooters as well. I’d place myself in the consistently under 1 MOA camp, but nowhere near a consistent ¾ or ½ MOA shooter. Thus, I fully recognize that I’m far from a proficient marksman as I’ve certainly had many, many crappy days at the range. However, I’ve also had some really good days where I feel like I’m shooting near the rifles capabilities.

As a reality check, I often shoot with and swap rifles with my uncle who is a proficient marksman and who typically schools me on the correct way to shoot (and I’m typically GTG until I get back home and go out on my own).

I/we are becoming increasingly confident that this rifle is close to shooting near its limit as configured with the ammo we've tested. I wouldn't call it dogshit, but I expect it to exceed the accuracy of all but one of my ARs. A trigger upgrade and better loading could provide considerable benefit.

We did employ the ladder method, but it was not exhaustive and needs to be revisited.

Timney 510 is on the way.

Manners stock...not so much. It is on my list to sample. Liking the T4A.

Quote Originally Posted by orkan View Post
    Come shoot with me or a few others here. We'll show you .5 moa rifles in person.

Get a manners stock with mini chassis.
    Get a timney 510 trigger.
    Do a proper ladder and work up a load for 175SMK's.

Might get you there, might not. Worthwhile upgrades in any event.

Have you shot a true 1/4 moa or 1/2 moa rifle to determine if you are even capable of shooting that well?

If I had a $5 bill for every time someone handed me a rifle claiming it was dogshit, only to have them watch me put 5 shots at 100yds inside a quarter...

I don't know you, so I don't know your ability... but there is a metric asston (that's a lot) of skill that separates 1/2 moa shooters from 1 moa shooters.

Feedback Score
    ok so crappy was maybe an exaggeration. i was just keying in on the fact that you are obviously unsatisfied with its accuracy

Feedback Score
    http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet...700/Categories

F that, for that price and its only a piller bed?...

get a mcree, or hell, a AI from midway is under 900

and u can allways re-barrel yourself with a RemAge kit, no gunsmith needed....
    Last edited by Ring; 08-11-12 at 22:47.

Feedback Score
    The **** are you talking about... ONLY a pillar bed?

AI's weigh a shitload, and Mcree's freeze to you in the winter. Options are good... but Manners has been making stocks since before the mcree chassis was even a glimmer in the corner of someone's mind.

Ring, your posts REEK of Mr. Newguy trying to act cool. I'm betting you are short on experience and long on mouth.

Go ahead and try to prove me wrong.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast