Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else having problems taking apart their PSA upper?

Feedback Score

Anyone else having problems taking apart their PSA upper?

First i mushroomed out one punch, then bent another knocking out the taper pins on the gas block. After i finally removed the gas block I found that the folks at Palmetto state armory have torqued the barrel nut to Herculese's specs. To clarify what Imean, it has been torqued to a setting past 90 ft/lbs & I cannot remove it without damaging my upper or tearing my vice off my workbench. PSA is not returning my calls or e-mails so far (4 days), if anyonehas any tips for removing the barrel nut I am all ears.

Before you ask, yes I have a clamshell style upper action block, vice, & workbench. This is not my first upper, just my first 'problem' upper.

Any advice or help would be wonderful.
    Last edited by Awesomeness_Incarnate; 04-20-12 at 19:37.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Sounds like the last time I tried to remove a BCM FSB. LOL

Try soaking it in Kroil.

You could also try putting the upper in the freezer overnight. Sounds stupid but can work.

Feedback Score
    *sigh* I tried kroil. I have not tried the freezer, I'll do that tonight.
    Last edited by Awesomeness_Incarnate; 04-20-12 at 19:49.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    You may have to buy another barrel nut and slip ring and cut off the one on there currently. I have had to do this as well.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness_Incarnate View Post
    First i mushroomed out one punch, then bent another knocking out the taper pins on the gas block. After i finally removed the gas block I found that the folks at Palmetto state armory have torqued the barrel nut to Herculese's specs. To clarify what Imean, it has been torqued to a setting past 90 ft/lbs & I cannot remove it without damaging my upper or tearing my vice off my workbench. PSA is not returning my calls or e-mails so far (4 days), if anyonehas any tips for removing the barrel nut I am all ears.

Before you ask, yes I have a clamshell style upper action block, vice, & workbench. This is not my first upper, just my first 'problem' upper.

If you are at over 90ft lbs just stop and send it back to them (as it is torqued over spec).

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 04-20-12 at 21:08.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    You may have to buy another barrel nut and slip ring and cut off the one on there currently. I have had to do this as well.
    Your kidding..... Ok probably not but I wish you were.

As for sending it back... I am reluctant to do so without talking to PSA first, I would hate to be out my money, & the upper & their customer service has not garnered much faith.
    Last edited by Awesomeness_Incarnate; 04-20-12 at 21:57.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

You're not the first person this has happened to (regarding the barrel nut). I can't find the thread, but a member actually cracked his upper receiver trying to break free the damn barrel nut.

I'd follow Grant's advice and send the problem back to PSA. Once you get a hold of them, however long that may take. I would hope they pay both ways for shipping too, as their error in assembly cause the problem.
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.

-Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Your kidding..... Ok probably not but I wish you were.

As for sending it back... I am reluctant to do so without talking to PSA first, I would hate to be out my money, & the upper & their customer service has not garnered much faith.
    PSA posts here occasionally. Hopefully they will see this and get in touch with you. Let us know how it works out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    PSA posts here occasionally. Hopefully they will see this and get in touch with you. Let us know how it works out.
    Part of why I posted... Palmetto State Armory, HEAR MY CRY!

Well... Tried putting itin the freezer, no luck.... I am royally pissed
    Last edited by Awesomeness_Incarnate; 04-21-12 at 03:38.

Feedback Score
    My question is why are you trying to take it apart? New rail system?

It might be torqued to spec with a thread locker. I have not taken one apart, but generally when a nut is stuck, add heat to the nut (1/4 of the circumference). This method may not be acceptable on a barrel nut though.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast