Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Army says no more polymer mags

Feedback Score
    Beleive it or not people This is a good idea. I don't know were you get the information stating that usgi mags are prone to problems in comparison to Pmags, etc.

I'd rather have one of my guys buy it because his USGI mag crapped the bed than have the same with Pmag. At least I can blame Uncle Sam.

All kidding aside, I love my Pmags but always have a 1/2 dozen USGI mags on my side for when TSHTF. Proven to work is better than the cool factor, and given time sooner or later a polymer mag maker will meet the requirements for approval.

Steel is the way to go. "Go Fusil"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by R0N View Post
    PMAGs actually failed Army testing several years ago for the following reasons

1) rough handling at -60F causes damage/cracks in feed lip
    2) immersion in MIL-L-46000 Lubricant Semi-Fluid Automatic Weapons - LAW and 804-01-284-3982; DEET Insect Repellent causes stress crazing/cracking
    If you are referring to the test I think you are, it was not pmags that were used.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NongShim View Post
    I think this is great news. Plain old GI mags work great. I'm so sick and tired of seeing pmag related stoppages and watching people look for issues with the gun instead of shitcanning their stupid plastic mags. I haven't messed with the ARC mags because for me they aren't a solution to a problem. My green and tan follower mags are all stellar performers.

This is actually a good move.
    Of course it is. We had plenty of issues in extremely cold temps with PMAGs. Aside from the obnoxious clanking/springing sound empty USGI magazines make when thrown in a drop pouch, I have absolutely zero issues with them. They stack better, they're more streamlined, smaller... I greatly prefer them in almost every regard. Plus, with the USMC utilizing the IAR, having PMAGs floating around is now a liability.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 05-05-12 at 08:53.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    If you are referring to the test I think you are, it was not pmags that were used.
    I was not involved in the test so I cannot testify to the fact but Marine Corps Systems Command, PM Individual Weapons thinks otherwise and specifically quotes that test and say PMAG were tested and didn't meet the specifications

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    We are thinking about two different tests.

The one I was referring to was conducted by TECOM in 06 or 08, not the Marine Corps.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by devinsdad View Post
    There are too many polymer magazines on the market and there are a lot of soldiers that only hear "polymer is better" and buy the cheapest out there. Tapco, Bulgarian, TD, PMAG, Lancer etc. Which one works and works best for combat use? Even here on this site, many prefer one over another. While companies claim that their product is "combat ready" that is a marketing term, not reality. By saying NO to polymer mags, that should make the USGI mag, which has worked since the beginning, the standard in the field. This is the first time in history that there has been so many accessories availiable for a fielded combat weapon. Sights, grips, foreends, magazines...etc and a way to put them in the hands of the troops. Many hang stuff on their weapon for no other reason to be like that other guy, so that must be better. Even in a rifle squad, damn near every rifle is outfitted different. Some have quality parts, some are complete crap. The Army is trying to to stop the flow of non standardized/tested magazines from getting into the hands of our Soldiers. Hope it works.
    Very well said. Big Army can get silly at times, but this is a good move on their part.
    "In the end, it is not about the hardware, it's about the "software". Amateurs talk about hardware (equipment), professionals talk about software (training and mental readiness)" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman. On Combat

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Switched to Pmags (flawless) because every other steel mag i ever used was a piece of crap - can't say who made them, probably were the bad ones?

So who actually makes the (good) GI mags, what to look for, and where to get them?
    Thanks.
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by polydeuces View Post
    Switched to Pmags (flawless) because every other steel mag i ever used was a piece of crap - can't say who made them, probably were the bad ones?

So who actually makes the (good) GI mags, what to look for, and where to get them?
    Thanks.
    have you ever bought new in wrap USGI mags? In the original military packaging?

Various manufacturers make them, but Okay seemed to make the most I run into.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score

Thanks.
    http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?...gazine+journey
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Thanks.
    Okay Industries branded as Colt or NHMTG.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast