Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Army says no more polymer mags

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Strider5.56 View Post
    I agree totally with Pat. If personal experience is different than what some SME on hear are saying, I am going with personal experience. Once again I wonder how one becomes a SME.......I have personally seen crap on here that I just can't believe people are supporting product "A" over product "B". Only thing I can figure is that they are getting freebies or it looks good in "Call of Duty, Modern Warfare". We must remember, and I am NOT knocking 90% of our true SMEs on here, if you are an "Instructor/Trainer", you got to have some kinda of new technique or new tool to make you relevant. Or you start bashing something that a majority of people have NOT had any issues with because you need to market your stuff. I love these guys who always say "If you like this, your an idiot." Then they never back up what they are saying with some actual research or examples. Then magically they appear with a new product endorsement. They are as fake as any pop singer on MTV selling records. Any acclaimed SME out there giving info just so they can make a buck can burn in hell......
    I'm with a0cake on this one dude. I think there was some reading comprehension fail on your part.

And my understanding is that the SME's on this site are verified sf dudes. That doesn't mean that they don't have differing opinions or that everyone else should bow down and do whatever an SME suggests or does. What it means is: Here is a dude with a ton of training and knowledge, been through selection, and most importantly, has had lots of actual operational experience. Not gaming and/or tons of traning or whatever some folks think make themselves qualified to disrespect SME's. When they speak, I listen with an open mind. Doesn't mean I blindly follow.

P.S. much respect for the conventional combat mos dudes too. I am specifically refering to the SME's as that is what was being addressed and their creds have been verified. There is a small but decent number of folks on this forum that definitely know what they are talking about without a status next to their name (such as a0cake).
    Last edited by sboza; 05-06-12 at 20:40.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I agree totally with Pat. If personal experience is different than what some SME on hear are saying, I am going with personal experience. Once again I wonder how one becomes a SME.......I have personally seen crap on here that I just can't believe people are supporting product "A" over product "B". Only thing I can figure is that they are getting freebies or it looks good in "Call of Duty, Modern Warfare". We must remember, and I am NOT knocking 90% of our true SMEs on here, if you are an "Instructor/Trainer", you got to have some kinda of new technique or new tool to make you relevant. Or you start bashing something that a majority of people have NOT had any issues with because you need to market your stuff. I love these guys who always say "If you like this, your an idiot." Then they never back up what they are saying with some actual research or examples. Then magically they appear with a new product endorsement. They are as fake as any pop singer on MTV selling records. Any acclaimed SME out there giving info just so they can make a buck can burn in hell......
    Might consider taking a second to read this thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...&highlight=SME

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by a0cake View Post
    You went full retard man. Nobody here is making money by bashing PMAG's and advocating using USGI mags.
    You didn't get your check?

Question:
    Is there a milspec for Pmags? While I haven't seen/found it yet there is undoubtedly one for the aluminum mags, and I imagine it is right down to the number of welds, finish, dimensions of the mag catch hole, etc. Same can be said for any other magazine?

Feedback Score
    Wow, this is starting to smell like a damn DI vs Gas Piston thread I'm just saying. If you are in the army, it's probably out of your hands. If your a civie, who cares buy what works...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Indeed it is.

If there's a "You're an idiot..." message to be had, it's this: You're an idiot if you fall in love with your magazines, regardless of their manufacturer, configuration, or material.

I'm not a music guy. It's background noise, to me, so there's only two types or genres: music I like, and music I don't like.

In that idiom, there's only two types of magazines: Those that you have function-tested and are confident will run, and those that failed and should be fed into a wood-chipper.

I own and use 4 different brands of polymer mags and USGI; the only truly distinguishing feature of any of them is that THEY FUNCTION, and that they cease to exist once they no longer do so.....and I remain cognizant of the fact that there will come a time when they will FAIL. Disposable items, like Bic lighters.

Having said that, the thread is a heads-up regarding a shift in Army policy, with the likely intent of the OP being that of max dissemination. Let's keep the Less Filling/Tastes Great arguments to the existing threads that speak to such (one of which is cited), if you please.

As for how one becomes tagged as a SME, how it's defined aboard M4C is clearly spoken to HERE: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=1497

If one wants to run his jib about SMEs, it's be best to do so after having read the stickied threads that hang in every subforum we have, which exist for a reason, such as defining precisely THAT sort of info.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by R0N View Post
    If OPCON to a combantant commander, his rules are in effect.

It doesn't matter what your state's policy is, when activated you are under Title X, and what your state says means absolutely nothing.
    Ding, Ding, Ding!

I am willing to bet they claim an upper is not a personal weapon, so they are not in violation of GO1.

They could still have issues returning to the CONUS though.

I encouraged my guys to buy/shoot AR-15/M-4 weapons, but only to get better with their issued weapons. What advantage is their to using a civilian upper on a DoD weapon?
    Winning may not be everything, but the endorsements are better.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Indeed it is.

If there's a "You're an idiot..." message to be had, it's this: You're an idiot if you fall in love with your magazines, regardless of their manufacturer, configuration, or material.
    This cannot be stressed enough IMHO.

I do prefer one type over another, but I still own both.

I am willing to place my life in the hands of both, I just know that one will last longer then the other, but in the end, both will end up failing at some point, hopefully not when I need them for real.

And i'm still waiting for my check from magpul for pimpin' their mags.......been waiting several years. Sometimes I don't think it'll ever show.....
    It is missing the point to think that the martial art is solely in cutting a man down; it is in killing evil. It is in the strategem of killing the evil of one man and giving life to ten thousand -Yagyu Munemori

Feedback Score
    In order to become a SME on this forum, you must be (or have been) attached to a Tier 1 unit or a direct action guy. Most of the SME's on here are either in or were in a Tier 1 unit.

When they give a recommendation, it is not to be taken lightly or blown off.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by a0cake View Post
    Hey man, where are you getting this from? It's not true at all. Or are you just trying to keep all the pre-bans for yourself?

NYS Penal Code 265.00 section 23
    23. "Large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device, manufactured after September thirteenth, nineteen hundred ninety-four, that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition; provided, however, that such term does not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition."
    I was wrong I mixed things up in my head thanks for correcting me
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just so I'm tracking on what Strider5.56 is saying...the guys that make and sell millions of mags to the US Government are paying me to subvert PMAG sales to an extremely small subculture of shooting sport and MIL/LE enthusiasts to enhance their bottom line by selling a couple more dozen mags a year to former PMAG converts?

You know why I use GI mags? Because they appear to work as wonderfully\poorly as Lancer L5s or PMAGs for 1000000% more free in terms of what they cost me. I can use new ones every day and throw them out and not run out. PMAGs are fine. Use them. Feed my friends at Magpul's kids....I like those guys a lot.

Also, in you guys quest for proof of stuff...dudes get fired for sharing test reports. Procurement data is 100% classified for everything the units test\buy\issue. Like lose your clearance, career, job, just to prove something you have no need to prove to "the Internet". So you can see why it's not a good deal to show how many stoppages X had over Y in independent testing by outside contractors, regardless of the digital myths that would be crushed. In specialized units nothing bought or issued is an accident or one guy's uneducated opinion...it's done for a reason that I wager is more scientific, professional, thorough, and f-ing expensive than anywhere else. Its what is called EEFI by these various unit's commanders...it doesn't mean "Essential for Everyone on the ****ing Internet" unfortunately.

The information posted by anyone here is worth EXACTLY what you pay for it...

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast