Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Corrosion Testing (New Pics - 5-08-12)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    +1

I've seen Break Free win many tests over the years. Of course some of the newer chemicals didn't exist then.

What I like about Break Free is that it is a penetrant. The stuff gets into every nook and cranny where moisture can hide, and an AR has plenty of those. I've watched guns that were just half-assed oiled up with Break Free look completely coated in a few days. Somehow the stuff migrates from where you put it into every place it can go. I've seen FCG pins that were dry on the outside but coated with Break Free on the inside develop a "halo" of oil around them on the outside of the receiver, like the oil had a life and will of its own. I don't recall seeing rust develop on any gun first coated with Break Free and then put in the safe for years.

For safe queens, I like nothing better, although I may try some of the others too.
    I may have to store mine for 3 years or so depending on where I deploy to next year, if so I'll use eezox for that long especially since they will be in my parents attic.
    Last edited by Todd00000; 04-27-12 at 14:46.
    Todd
    Colt/BCM

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd00000 View Post
    I may have to store mine for 3 years or so depending on where I deploy to next year, if so I'll use eezox for that long especially since they will be in my parents attic.
    I've always heard an attic is a piss-poor place to store firearms due to the temperature extremes.

There are all kinds of things you can Google as ways to hide firearms if you can't afford a safe.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jay35 View Post
    The challenge is FrogLube apparently doesn't play well with petroleum-based products, so if you've Froglubed a weapon and you want to store it you might need to go through removing that first before applying a rust inhibitor / storage oil.
    I wish there was more info on this. For kicks I've been mixing the liquid froglube and some synthetic lubricants together, but there are no visibile or tactile differences, and in my limited use no adverse effects. I couldn't tell you what's happening at a molecular level or whether there is serious performance changes. No idea what would happen if you mixed it with solvents.

Feedback Score
    I've always heard an attic is a piss-poor place to store firearms due to the temperature extremes.

There are all kinds of things you can Google as ways to hide firearms if you can't afford a safe.
    I've stored them for years before in their attic with nothing but CLP, but depending on tour length a safe may be an option.
    Todd
    Colt/BCM

Feedback Score

Yeap attics(damn hot here in the midsouth summers) and crawl spaces,or even hidden panels in walls are terrible for storage.Been there and gota t-shirt for it already.Certainly do not store ammo in hot areas.

I would see if a family member or friend has a spot in the house big enough for a gun locker that has some open air flow within the house.Would be nice if someone would be capable of at least inspecting the weapons once a month or so for you.
    Regardless gun lockers are not air tight and allow air flow,which is key in preventing condensation accumulation and by reducing container humidity.

Even a closet will be acceptable to place a locker in most homes that have modern HVAC systems.Lots of air movement in the home,return will even draw air from minor crackes in walls and windows etc..

In fact I have my gun lockers in a closets.To insure the air flow to the closet I cut the bottom of the door 1.5" away from the floor and installed a louvered vented panel to allow air flow.In fact I did that to all my closets to reduce musty odors on the clothes from storage etc..

For storage up to three years,I'd personally detail clean all weapons and use something like Remington Universal Grease or RIG Universal grease.Apply the greases with a RIG Rag leavinga sheen of lube burnished into the surfaces.Coat the bores with Remington/RIG Grease using a bore mop,again working it into the surfaces with muliple passes.
    These greases use a very effective petro sulfonate and work extremely well as inhibitors/barriers in controlled environments.

Also as a note,the reason some greases do poorly in wet open environments is due to water wash off.Can't remember the technical description,but thats basically why.

Anyway,Ive got some K98K's that have been stored in gun lockers for over a decade that were coated with a visible sheen of RIG and/or Remington Universal Grease,using a RIG Rag,and they look perfect on every inspection.

Ive also had excellent results with Weapon Shield Grease and TW25B for handgun storage.Reason for the use of these grease on handgun storage is that is the lubes I use on my handguns,so it allows a wipe off excess and punch bore PM before use with no additional steps needed.

Otherwise,as far as oils,Ive had good luck with Break Free CLP and Weapon Shield CLP applied in a sheen of lube using a 7/8" applicator brush.I do not use cloths to apply lube/oils as I believe the cloths trap additives and only leave trace amounts of product used.I don't like lint from the cotton cloth being on the gun in storage etc. either.Same feeling about household dust and lint collection on weapons.
    Regardless,with those oils and using a brush applicator Ive had weapons go for over a year in storage and still have a visible sheen of product on the surfaces and no corrosion issues.

Otherwise I PM or inspect monthly.Usually set day/time for this due to shear number,and dedication without interruption.Weapons in use are PM'd after use,or weekly in CCW requirements which ultimately cuts down on my monthly routine thru rotation.Everything is logged as well by weapon so I can track records...helps control personal OCD issues,but it works.

Ive never seen any corrosion on anything doing the above and I live in a humid environment that see's wide temp swings most of the year.
    HTH
    Last edited by Blankwaffe; 04-27-12 at 17:02. Reason: ETA
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Armed Protective Services II

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Blankwaffe View Post
    HTH
    Thank you for the info, I will take into consideration depending on tour length and space in my parents garage. Worst case I just lather them in the protective grease.
    Last edited by Todd00000; 04-27-12 at 17:00.
    Todd
    Colt/BCM

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd00000 View Post
    Thank you for the info, I will take into consideration depending on tour length and space in my parents garage. Worst case I just lather them in the protective grease.
    If the garage is not a controlled environment,you may see the same issues as an attic...just not as hot,maybe.Remember 5-10 degrees is all it takes to cause condensation issues,and humidity levels have to be considered.

Being subjected to reasonable hot,or even cold temps,is not the issues with weapons,its the fluctuation in temps over a few hours.
    Good example,taking a weapon from the 72F home temp to say summer outside temp of 95F here(with almost matching dew point most times)will frost a weapon up like a cold beer.
    So opening the garage door may have enough temp swing and humidity introduction to have an effect.

Ammo,I like to keep at a constant temp somewhere below 72F for storage if possible.Which is my homes typical temp.

That said I suffer from OCD,so my comments may seem over the edge to some here.But Im especially picky about my firearms and ammo etc. regardless of that situation.
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Armed Protective Services II

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jay35 View Post
    The challenge is FrogLube apparently doesn't play well with petroleum-based products, so if you've Froglubed a weapon and you want to store it you might need to go through removing that first before applying a rust inhibitor / storage oil.
    FrogLube does not like Gun Scrubber at all. For kicks I hit some paste with it and mixed it around, turned it into a white gummy substance. I didn't see a reaction when I mixed it with a little SLIP 2000 EWL.

Feedback Score
    That has been my experiance as well, slip and frong lube play well together.

Feedback Score
    As some has stated, theres going to be a difference in intended use, i.e. weapons storage/everyday carry. As also stated, the best lubricant is probably not going to be the best rust inhibitor.

If your carrying your sidearm, or your rig is going around with you everywhere, not to mention taking it to the range, you need to inspect & clean it on the regular anyway. With that in mind, you wont need the long term rust inhibiting protection that these few products provide... When storing, its a whole other thing, your not worried so much about lubrication, but protection.

I'm not the same as some as all of my firearms are used pretty regularly and none of them has ever seen long term storage. I like all of my platforms to be ready to go at a moments notice, & yes there is quite a few & no, maybe its not realistic to need to have them "all" that way, but its just the way I am. With all that, each one gets attention close to once a month, if not more. Rather it be some range time, or just cleaning & inspection. All my rigs better be ready to run HARD. Now, I do have my favorites I work with & carry on a regular basis, that rarely leave my side, I bring my SR-15 with me in my vehicle about everywhere i go, its also a favorite for the carbine courses as its one of the best shooting rigs I've had, & its a sweet heart for doing demonstrations & You'll rarely see me without some kind of sidearm on, like one of my 1911's.
    None of them will probably never see longterm storage, but hey, thats just me, & with all that in mind, I'll keep using FL for my lubrication needs.
    Love seeing test like this though, great work.
    Last edited by Ghostmaker; 04-28-12 at 01:10.
    Instructor-Basic, Intermediate & Advanced Combative Techniques for Carbine & Pistol

"Responsibility for your Protection & Superiority in Combat starts here... at Lakeview Combative Training."-Ghostmaker

"FROG LUBE doubles as my TOOTH PASTE."-Ghostmaker

"Be Professional at making Ghosts." -Ghostmaker

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast