Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Corrosion Testing (New Pics - 5-08-12)

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Any of those oils or lubes have PTFE aka Teflon in them?

I used to use Tetra Gun, and still have a few bottles around. I lube my BCG with Slip 2000 ewl after I clean the weapons. I use the G96 for clean up and general oiling after I action blaster all the crud off parts and out the barrel etc.

Thank you for the time spent on this. It will be really nice to know what product REALLY protects our investment into our firearms. Strong work mr. mad scientist.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TacMedic556 View Post
    Any of those oils or lubes have PTFE aka Teflon in them?

I used to use Tetra Gun, and still have a few bottles around. I lube my BCG with Slip 2000 ewl after I clean the weapons. I use the G96 for clean up and general oiling after I action blaster all the crud off parts and out the barrel etc.

Thank you for the time spent on this. It will be really nice to know what product REALLY protects our investment into our firearms. Strong work mr. mad scientist.
    Those that I know of which have PTFE:
    Tetra
    Rem oil
    Mil-comm
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Armed Protective Services II

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    OP

Is the G96 you're using just the standard gun lube they have or is it the G96 as issued to the military?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    OP

Is the G96 you're using just the standard gun lube they have or is it the G96 as issued to the military?
    It's the standard commercial version.
    "The history of gun fighting fails to record a single fatality resulting from a quick noise...speed's fine, but accuracy is final." William H. Jordan 1965

Feedback Score
    Day 4 and some of the samples are in pretty bad shape. Some are worse than the untreated control sample. So far the results haven't surprised me much with one exception. The Weapon Shield products are really holding their own against some of my old standbys like Eezox and Corrosion X.

I left the samples out all evening and brought them in this morning to dry and photograph. They were in a steady rain most of yesterday and night. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

Don't mind my feline assistant, typical of all blonds they're high maintenance and always in front of the camera. It's amazing I can get anything done.......

"The history of gun fighting fails to record a single fatality resulting from a quick noise...speed's fine, but accuracy is final." William H. Jordan 1965

Feedback Score
    Close examination shows no signs of corrosion on the following:

Tri-flow oil
    PL-10 grease
    Corrosion X
    Eezox
    Smith & Wesson oil
    Weapon Shield oil
    Weapon Shield grease

I am really impressed with the Weapon Shield. I'm going to have to get some more of this stuff. If it lubricates as well as it prevents corrosion it just might be the best all around product.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Wow.

Really disappointed in Slip EWL.

Feedback Score
    As a user of Breakfree/CLP for 24 years I'm not surprised it is doing well in a test like this.
    Todd
    Colt/BCM

Feedback Score
    Looks like I might be better off using Mobil 1 than FrogLube.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd00000 View Post
    As a user of Breakfree/CLP for 24 years I'm not surprised it is doing well in a test like this.
    +1

I've seen Break Free win many tests over the years. Of course some of the newer chemicals didn't exist then.

What I like about Break Free is that it is a penetrant. The stuff gets into every nook and cranny where moisture can hide, and an AR has plenty of those. I've watched guns that were just half-assed oiled up with Break Free look completely coated in a few days. Somehow the stuff migrates from where you put it into every place it can go. I've seen FCG pins that were dry on the outside but coated with Break Free on the inside develop a "halo" of oil around them on the outside of the receiver, like the oil had a life and will of its own. I don't recall seeing rust develop on any gun first coated with Break Free and then put in the safe for years.

For safe queens, I like nothing better, although I may try some of the others too.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 04-27-12 at 10:16.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast