Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Corrosion Testing (New Pics - 5-08-12)

Feedback Score
    Excellent thread Wedge.

Thank you for your hard work and sharing.

I'll be very interested in the results.
    "Never confuse movement with action."
    Ernest Hemingway

Join the NRA - protect our 2nd Amendment rights.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by F_G View Post
    That is interesting you are seeing that much corrosion that quickly with some products. Are you going to run the experiment to the point every product has exhibited some corrosion?

Although I do worry this is a damning documentary of my life sitting around waiting for metal to rust.
    I'm gonna run it until everything shows some break down in protection. Or until I totally lose interest. Based on past tests that I've done, Eezox, Corrosion X and Boeshield T-9 will go MONTHS before showing any signs of corrosion. I use Eezox for my long term storage and it hasn't failed me yet.

Don't feel bad about waiting around to see rust. Hell how do you think I feel doing it. I've got too much time on my hands and we all know idle time is the devils playground.
    "The history of gun fighting fails to record a single fatality resulting from a quick noise...speed's fine, but accuracy is final." William H. Jordan 1965

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by technician View Post
    I'm interested to see how WD-40 holds up. I got 20K miles out of my last motorcycle chain using it.
    WD-40 is a water displacer and has always done good in all my tests. I just hate how it gums up the internals. But thats why it works so well as a preservative.
    "The history of gun fighting fails to record a single fatality resulting from a quick noise...speed's fine, but accuracy is final." William H. Jordan 1965

Feedback Score
    They're calling for rain tonight so I'm gonna leave the board outside tonight for a good soak. The rain should wash most of the salt deposits off to. Then we'll see some real action. Stay tuned.....same bat shit crazy time, same bat shit crazy channel........

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wedgehead30 View Post
    Based on past tests that I've done, Eezox, Corrosion X and Boeshield T-9 will go MONTHS before showing any signs of corrosion. I use Eezox for my long term storage and it hasn't failed me yet.
    Am I looking at this wrong, or does the Boeshield have some sign on it? And also looks like a dot of something on the Corrosion X around the hole at the bottom... ????

Also, is that regular REM Oil your using? Not that I have any or have used it but I know they have a REM OIL out called REM OIL Moisture Guard Rust Preventative. It says it uses VCI technology supplied by INHIBITOR, Premium VCI technology, Leaves a film of this stuff behind on the surface... Just curious...
    Quote Originally Posted by jay35 View Post
    Dammit Frog Lube, why you fail? I knew I shoulda held off on the peer pressure with that one.
    Yea, I wasn't expecting FL to start that quickly... wonder if he heated the metal then applied it per manufacture instructions, he said he was going to follow the instructions of the manufacture for every Test piece.

But don't discount FL completely, it has very excellent Friction Inhibitory properties, even if it does rust faster in this test. Plus like he said, its worst case scenario... "dipping you gun in the ocean every day without cleaning it."

And LOL @ jay35....That 1 got me bro.
    Last edited by Ghostmaker; 04-26-12 at 07:40.
    Instructor-Basic, Intermediate & Advanced Combative Techniques for Carbine & Pistol

"Responsibility for your Protection & Superiority in Combat starts here... at Lakeview Combative Training."-Ghostmaker

"FROG LUBE doubles as my TOOTH PASTE."-Ghostmaker

"Be Professional at making Ghosts." -Ghostmaker

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Interesting testing.
    Here's a similar test from a while back- http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

That's what got me using Eezox.
    It's odd how some excellent lubricants are poor corrosion protectors.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
    Yea, I wasn't expecting FL to start that quickly... wonder if he heated the metal then applied it per manufacture instructions, he said he was going to follow the instructions of the manufacture for every Test piece.
    Yeah I doubt it, which is leaving a bit of hope for it.
    Plus like he said, its worst case scenario... "dipping you gun in the ocean every day without cleaning it."
    Sort of like a... Navy SEAL? lol, had to go there.

Feedback Score
    Day 3 dawns with some interesting results. But first let me answer a few questions.

-Per the directions on the bottle both Frog Lube samples were heated to a warm temp, the directions say sunlight. So I warmed them to a point where I could still comfortably handle them and then applied.

-The Remington Oil is the spray can with teflon. I wasn't aware of the other type. I plan to take the top five protective products and run them long term. If I find some other products I'll probably put them on the board too.

Okay, I think I covered everything.

So I left the board outside last night and we had a light rain overnight. Most all of the dry salt deposits were washed off the samples. In some of the photos they look like corrosion. Pictures are below, sorry about the one that's kinds blurry, too much coffee. I'll do better tomorrow. Now on to Day 3's pictures.......Some interesting results today. The Armalube seems to promote corrosion, it's worse than the control sample.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wedgehead30 View Post
    I'm gonna run it until everything shows some break down in protection. Or until I totally lose interest. Based on past tests that I've done, Eezox, Corrosion X and Boeshield T-9 will go MONTHS before showing any signs of corrosion. I use Eezox for my long term storage and it hasn't failed me yet.

Don't feel bad about waiting around to see rust. Hell how do you think I feel doing it. I've got too much time on my hands and we all know idle time is the devils playground.
    This is what I want to know what is best for long term storage. Thank you.
    Todd
    Colt/BCM

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast