Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Sights for G17

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by willowofwisp View Post
    Johnny,

your wrong their was an initial run of rb-1 sights earlier this year, around the end of January or so and they were sold out by the first week in March.

-Dave
    Oh. I thought I read they weren't sold out, just no made yet. The post was probably one I read from last year.
    Last edited by JonnyVain; 04-14-12 at 20:34.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ga Shooter View Post
    Piggybacking on this thread; I called Ameriglo yesterday as I currently use the Hackathorn sights to see what the difference between the front sight of the CAP sights and the Hackathorns. Sally (I think that was her name) told me that they are the exact same except the orange paint on the Hack's are round and square on the Cap's. So my questions for those who have used both are:

1. Do you think the shape of the orange paint makes any difference while shooting

2. Do you think the Pro Operators because of the two dots lining up with the front dot makes a difference.

My questions relate to accuracy at speed. I love the Hacks but I still seem to have accuracy problems at longer ranges. I am sure that some of it is me and someone will be helping me with that next weekend, but I also, because of eyesight, have a little problem getting a good crisp focus on the top edge of the front sight.
    If I were getting dots in the rear sight, I would get the round front. If I went with plain black rear, I would get the square front. For consistancy's sake, I would like to either line up dots, or line up top of the site. Then at night you just point with front dot and don't worry about the rear.

ETA: I feel like there's a dirty joke somewhere in my response...
    Last edited by JonnyVain; 04-14-12 at 20:38.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    F2S, have you tried a green/green version of the CAP sights to compare with an orange one?
    I have not. A bright orange front sight is pretty well preferred amongst high level shooters (certainly not universal though), so I went with the data I had available and went that path with my choice. I don't have enough time to test every aspect of every item I use, and the orange (painted by yours truly) has worked well in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Shooter View Post
    Piggybacking on this thread; I called Ameriglo yesterday as I currently use the Hackathorn sights to see what the difference between the front sight of the CAP sights and the Hackathorns. Sally (I think that was her name) told me that they are the exact same except the orange paint on the Hack's are round and square on the Cap's. So my questions for those who have used both are:

1. Do you think the shape of the orange paint makes any difference while shooting

2. Do you think the Pro Operators because of the two dots lining up with the front dot makes a difference.

My questions relate to accuracy at speed. I love the Hacks but I still seem to have accuracy problems at longer ranges. I am sure that some of it is me and someone will be helping me with that next weekend, but I also, because of eyesight, have a little problem getting a good crisp focus on the top edge of the front sight.
    I think that the shape is important, and here's why:
    The first time I tried the Hacks I couldn't figure out why I was shooting distinctly high. Then an interesting thing was pointed out to me: the circle on the front sight of the Hack is bigger than the rear sight notch depth, so when I was seeing a full dot, the front sight was actually high. Odd, but true.

I also find that for me, the rear dots being in perfect alignment with the front dot is great for times when I need the tritium assist. I don't even notice them in the light, which makes the rear look like a plain black rear, which is good.

That big bright front sight stands out well in the black rear notch. I find the width of the front sight and rear sight to be as well as anything else I have used. I like to shoot fast, and I like to be precise, and the sights seem to work well in that regard, and I don't have to paint anything or shop around for different front sight heights.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score

G 17 sights

I have the Kyle Defoor sights by Ameriglo. The sight picture is well defined and the front and rear are at a 90 d. angle to the slide so they are super easy to rack one handed. Last class I took I found I could rack the slide off my jeans (without sweeping my leg ) A bonus is they are relatively inexpensive, about $56.00 delivered IIRC.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaperAZ View Post
    For me at least the factory sights on a Glock are the very first thing to go. I ran Meprolites's on my 23 for many years and I guess they were ok. I just had a set of Warrens put on my 19 with the rear being plain and the front is red fiber optic. So far I really like them. Nice and fast acquisition. I really like the height of them compared to the Glock sights as I am used to a 1911 and the extra height of the Warren sights really makes a difference to me. I have a feeling I am going to be trying a few other sets just to check them out and see if I like them as well.

Sorry it's kind of fuzzy. Couldn't get my phone to focus.

I have the set up presently on my 17 and its my favorite by far. Quick to pick up and really prefer the thinner front blade. Although I wish the sight front site was a bit deeper to gather more light.
    Last edited by jpmuscle; 04-14-12 at 23:43.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    All of my Glock's,M&P and 1911 have 10-8 Performance sights

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I have not. A bright orange front sight is pretty well preferred amongst high level shooters (certainly not universal though), so I went with the data I had available and went that path with my choice. I don't have enough time to test every aspect of every item I use, and the orange (painted by yours truly) has worked well in the past.

I think that the shape is important, and here's why:
    The first time I tried the Hacks I couldn't figure out why I was shooting distinctly high. Then an interesting thing was pointed out to me: the circle on the front sight of the Hack is bigger than the rear sight notch depth, so when I was seeing a full dot, the front sight was actually high. Odd, but true.

I also find that for me, the rear dots being in perfect alignment with the front dot is great for times when I need the tritium assist. I don't even notice them in the light, which makes the rear look like a plain black rear, which is good.

That big bright front sight stands out well in the black rear notch. I find the width of the front sight and rear sight to be as well as anything else I have used. I like to shoot fast, and I like to be precise, and the sights seem to work well in that regard, and I don't have to paint anything or shop around for different front sight heights.
    Thank you very much for your response. That helps me a lot. I will have to give your setup a try and I will let you know how it works for me.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lebowski View Post
    Big fan of the redback one here.

My second favorite is the ameriglo pro operator.
    How do you like your rb1 sights?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks all for helping me chose and input for what sights I wanted on my G17. I went with RB1 sights and really I'm satisfied. Thanks guys!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGreg View Post
    I'm very impressed with Ameriglo sights. I have the Defoor's and the Pro Operators. I like the fact that they offers a green front w/ yellow rears that do not have a white outline.

I just got a police trade-in G21 and will be trying out some regular Operators.

~Greg
    I run Operators on my G19 and their suppressor sights on my 34. I love them.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345