Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your SCAR tips, tweaks, tricks, and odd bits here

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    Just got my scar 17 a few months ago. I was wondering what everyone's opinions is on the buttstock. I keep thinking I will get use to it but I don't. I'm an AR guy. Is here any great option to switch it out with an at style buttstock?
    Last edited by omface@yahoo.com; 08-10-13 at 12:50. Reason: Re read post

Feedback Score

FAL Magazines converted for SCAR H

I have done a post on FN forum but figured I would add it here, I have converted (easily) over 18 FAL Metric Magazines for my Scar 17 and they run great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=0dNwx71IsJ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=TxLxuk3Q_uM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Dg_epQC5880

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ocghE2RAX_M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=7h5IhFstPZ0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=XMPjKS90rQM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=uKkxcScT0w4

make sure you sand the feed lips to not scratch your rounds as the feed

Hope this helps
    DA - B4 1992
    SOTIC 1993
    getting old but can still shoot

in memory of Harvey, 5th SFG Sniper Locker

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I found that when I installed my PWS rail and then torqued the barrel screws properly (62 IN Lbs in an alternating fashion left side then right side starting from the back going forward) my groups tightened up a little. I dont know if they do this at the factory, i would think they do, and it is their instructions, however I do get better groups now. Seekonk makes a BT-2L T handle wrench that is set for 62 pounds and works well. Its a T-25 Torx bit BTW.

In live in a fantasy land, but I'm dead honest about it!
    Feedback Score

Groups tightened here as well after rail and re-torque

Maybe I lined myself up correctly behind the stock (and/or) - had a better cheek weld; a drunk pulled a hit and run on me at 50+ mph and broke a few of my rear molars and thoracic vertebre, which made anything but pistol shooting REAL painful.
    ...but after installing the FN front rail and a Geissele trigger and making sure everything was re-torqued to spec, viola, I shot one ragged hole with about 200 rounds the day after the install of the rail and trigger!

Need to get on the rear sling mod next; "rounded loop" seems like easiest and most efficient solution as I have the HK Hooks on my sling.

Thanks for all your help in finding the best mods to make this SCAR 16S be my g2g rifle; actually, I need more rounds through my OBR before this decision is made. But this post's experts have been a huge help in solving the few vexing probs this rifle gave me out of the shipping box!

Fenn
    FDFenn

"In the land of the Blind, the one-eyed man is King."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'd like to add a small observation with regard to the binding of hooks and rings in the SCAR sling points that occurs during transitions.

After playing around with several types of hooks, rings, and just about every other type of hardware I could find, I noticed that just about all of them bind or grind to one extent or another.

I believe a major cause of this, beside the small size of the opening, is the sharp squared edges on the inside of the of the SCAR mount points. They seem to bite or snag some even on rounded rings.

I have not had time to test this out on one of my rifles by taking a dremel to them, but I will and I expect it to help a little.

--

Also, for California people, use the Raddlock bullet button. It is FAR better than the other options and allows you to keep the ORIGINAL mag release hardware in place and is therefore more easily reversable. You'll see what I mean when you get one.

---

BTW - Thanks for all the great tips.

Feedback Score
    Not to shill TOO badly here, but our our 255 and 325 Universal Wire Loops are ideal for the sling loops on the SCAR.

http://www.blueforcegear.com/pushbutton_uwl/

Stephen

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Post your SCAR tips, tweaks, tricks, and odd bits here

Vltor makes a stock adapter that will let you use the AR stock of your choice. You will however lose the side folding ability.

On a semi related note, I noticed that while my 17 stock rattles like a box of Legos, the one on my more recent manufacture black 16 locks up solidly with no rattle. Kinda cool.
    I have far more guns than I realistically need, but far less than I want. - NongShim

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Scar 17

Any have or heard of any issues with the Scar 17 recoil being to much for an eotech xps 3 and dbal i2 laser?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

SCAR Spare parts...

...I've been asked a number of times on several forums about spare parts for the FN SCAR 16/17. Namely where I get them and what to I keep on hand as a SCAR owner.

First, where to get parts. While the conventional word on the internet is that parts are impossible to get, there are multiple sources. The most obvious is to call FN directly, which I have heard of people doing with some success. There are other vendors as well - the three I have used multiple times with success are Midwest Gun Works, Stryker Enterprises, and Hi-Desert dog. Each place has goods / others when it comes to buying FN SCAR parts.

- MGW has a great online real time inventory but seems to have a minimum part cost of $5, even for super small parts, pins, and springs. But shipping is fast, they have loads of stuff, and if it's out of stock you can sign up for email notification. They also have an online schematic for the SCAR so you can get an idea of what parts are called and what you need.

- Stryker Enterprises is a vendor at FN Forum and is often able to acquire interesting FN SCAR parts such as operator tool kits, upgraded lower rail, etc. They also make a replacement charging handle called the "EACH", which I like a lot. Downside is all ordering has to be done via email or PM, and for someone who isn't knowledgable about what parts are in a SCAR, or what they are called, this can be a barrier to getting what you want. I'm told they are working on a website, so hopefully that will improve.

- Hi-Desert Dog does a lot of custom work and threading on all sorts of weapons, the SCAR included. They also make some replacement parts, barrels, conversion, etc - lots of which has a wide variety of acceptance in the shooting community. Regardless, they stock a good amount of SCAR parts and while not super fast in shipping, they do have more realistic prices for some of the really small parts, pins, and springs for the SCAR. While it may sound trivial between paying $5 from MGW and $2.99 from HDD for a part, when you get serious about parts and add that up over 10, 15, 20+ little pieces it adds up.

---- Please note I'm not affiliated with the above mentioned vendors, only that is where I've purchased parts for my SCARs, YMMV----

Ok, now what to keep on hand. Well, that depends. As a firm believer in the SCAR rifles, I want to have every possible part on hand in case it should break in 1, 5, or 20+ years. So for me, it's easier to tell you what I DON'T have. I don't have a spare upper, BCG, barrel assembly, lower, or sights - although I have stripped lowers on order and plan to get barrels eventually.

So yes, I have at least one each of the little random screws, pins, parts, springs, plastic thingys, etc. 1 spare stock, multiple spare firing pins, gas pistons, rings, trigger components (helps when you get the SUPER SCAR trigger, your original is a nice spare), etc, etc. It adds up but if you do a little over time, every month or every 3-6 months, whatever works, eventually you get a decent amount. I store the parts in this dual level Plano case.

Now maybe you say hey Rhino, that's cool but I don't want to get all that stuff - however what would be your "must haves?" for parts? Ok.

- Complete Bolt
    - Bolt cam pin
    - Firing Pin
    - Firing Pin retaining pin & O-ring
    - Gas Piston
    - Gas regulator
    - Charging handle
    - Trigger return spring
    - Hammer spring
    - Sear spring

Now all of those parts aren't one likely to break, as the SCAR (like most modern firearms) is extremely durable. However, those parts (aside from the spring mentioned) are typically removed for cleaning and when you think of cleaning at the range, in the field, etc, they could easily be lost and render the weapon useless. In fact, now that I have the VLTOR stocks on both my SCARs, all those parts easily fit in the buttstock. My 17 is set up similar with spares but with different optics batteries.

It can also be noted that instead of getting a full bolt and complete gas piston, why not just get the extractor, ejector, and replacement gas ring components? Well in short I have those as well, however I feel that it's better to have a complete bolt to out if should I experience an extractor problem, etc. It gets me back shooting and I can deal with the repair when in a more suitable location. It should also be noted that the SCAR bolt is more involved to take apart and reassemble than a standard AR bolt. I haven't taken mine apart yet but from what I've gleaned, it's not an easy process and not one that I want to be doing anywhere but my home or another suitable maintenance location.

Now you'll note that the trigger, hammer, and sear springs aren't quick repair items, but I have them on hand. I included these because they are relatively easy to replace and given time and tools, something I could do in the field if I had to. They're small, cheap, and simple piece of mind to have with the weapon

Lastly, I'm not a uber high speed .mil / .leo type, just a guy who like shooting with the SCAR. My methodology above is my own and I don't pretend that its perfect, so while I put this out to answer some questions, I welcome any constructive feedback anyone might have.

ETA - another good part to have is a return spring assembly or the pieces to make it. As it's a large part it won't fit in the rifle as a spare, but I would also consider this a good spare to have - at a minimum a replacement spring.
    Last edited by RHINOWSO; 12-21-13 at 13:58.

Feedback Score
    Excellent post, Rhino.

Your minimum spare parts list makes a lot of sense - even if you have the Geissele Trigger installed. While the OEM sear spring is surplus at this point, it could easily be lost if the original HTS parts needed to be put back in service.

Hopefully someone will offer your suggested parts as a kit at some point. My only "spare" for the SCAR-17 right now is a FAL.

Now maybe you say hey Rhino, that's cool but I don't want to get all that stuff - however what would be your "must haves?" for parts? Ok.

- Complete Bolt
    - Bolt cam pin
    - Firing Pin
    - Firing Pin retaining pin & O-ring
    - Gas Piston
    - Gas regulator
    - Charging handle
    - Trigger return spring
    - Hammer spring
    - Sear spring

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast