Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: opinion on my build

Feedback Score

opinion on my build

Hey everyone, really just want some opinions/tips on my build. This is going to be my first ar/build. i feel ive done a good amount of research but let me know if you think a different route would be better. please note a price difference and what would make it better and thanks, on to the build

first i plan to build on whatever stripped lower i can find while im visiting family in utah (still have my utah drivers license) heres a good deal ive found never heard of the company but there local out of utah and it is forged. http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...lpid=3&search=

lower parts kit-http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=388 its the top one with the single stage trigger and standard a2 trigger. i've heard alot of good things about the rra. great price for a really decent lpk, i know it may not be the best but i feel its a great value.

stock-http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=300 just a standard 6 position tactical stock, is this a decent price for this keep in mind this has the buffer spring, and buffer.

upper-http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/16/psa-16-mid-length-chrome-lined-upper.html
    not going to build the upper, requires alot more tools and just seems like a pita lol, so thats the upper im thinking its constantly out of stock and if it is when it comes down to it i might upgrade to the hammer forged.

again let me know what you think and please let me know if you think i could save some money on any of the parts.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    You mention RRA a few times which tells me that you haven't done much research (at least here) so I suggest that you take the time to look around more and use the search button.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Aero Precision makes a good lower receiver.

As to your choice of LPK and receiver extension/buttstock, I would skip RRA.

Since you are going to order your upper from PSA, why not just order their lower build kit as well. Better parts and save yourself $65 as well.

Palmetto State Armory Classic Lower Build Kit

Or, even better, save a little more money and get either the 16'' Hammer Forged Mid-Length Light Profile Rifle Kit or the 16'' Hammer Forged Mid-Length Rifle Kit. Both of them are currently in stock.

ETA: I missed that this will be your first AR, thought it was just your first build. I'd recommend skipping all of the above for your first AR and finding a Colt LE6920 for ~$150-200 more (more likely to be a wash if you don't have all of the tools and vice blocks to complete a build anyhow). Learn it, shoot it, take a class or two. Then when you are familiar with the weapon and know what you like and don't like you'll be in a better position to build.
    Last edited by ac130usnsr; 03-29-12 at 12:30.
    "You can run...but you'll only die tired." - Spooky

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Colt, DD, BCM, or LMT

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I didn't crunch the numbers on your parts list but unless you are building something that isn't available otherwise you are way ahead in buying your first carbine as a complete rifle or as an upper/lower assembly.

If you look around you can find an upper with low rounds complete for under 400, a blem BCM lower is about $290 with a M4 stock plus you have options for stock upgrades that will be cheaper than changing later.

$140 or so for a bolt carrier group and 25-45 for a charging handle depending on which one.

$850 without sights and ready to shoot, or pick up a 6920 for around 950 and shoot the irons for a while.

Both of those options are top of the line parts with a proven track record. The advice to get some trigger time with a stock gun is very good advice. It is difficult to know what you want until you have some time behind the trigger.

Feedback Score
    spent some time as a 11bravo in the army i definetly have adequate time behind an m4!!! just not an ar lol thanks for bringing up the psa lpk had looked into it a bit but had a tough time finding a review.. but you seem to know whats good and whats not so ill go with that lpk and save some money.. thanks a ton. just pre bought the lower so i know he'll have one when im in slc. then in a few weeks i can buy the upper. any other advice?

Just ordered the lpk from palmetto thanks for the link couldnt find it through there lower parts page lol.
    Last edited by cjstmw; 03-29-12 at 13:24.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cjstmw View Post
    spent some time as a 11bravo in the army i definetly have adequate time behind an m4!!! just not an ar lol thanks for bringing up the psa lpk had looked into it a bit but had a tough time finding a review.. but you seem to know whats good and whats not so ill go with that lpk and save some money.. thanks a ton. just pre bought the lower so i know he'll have one when im in slc. then in a few weeks i can buy the upper. any other advice?

Just ordered the lpk from palmetto thanks for the link couldnt find it through there lower parts page lol.
    If you're going to go that route, I'd recommend just getting one of the complete rifle kits above. Will save you a little $ and they are in stock.
    "You can run...but you'll only die tired." - Spooky

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cjstmw View Post
    any other advice?
    Have your Shift key checked, it appears to be malfunctioning.
    Also, people have given you quality advice on a Colt 6920/BCM factory rifle for a small price premium over your planned Frankenrifle. Seriously, a year after buying the Colt or the BCM, I guarantee that you won't be thinking "Man, I wish I'd spent $150 less on a PSA". However, if you go the PSA route, you might be thinking "Man, I wish I'd spent $150 more on that Colt".

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyFingers View Post
    Have your Shift key checked, it appears to be malfunctioning.
    Also, people have given you quality advice on a Colt 6920/BCM factory rifle for a small price premium over your planned Frankenrifle. Seriously, a year after buying the Colt or the BCM, I guarantee that you won't be thinking "Man, I wish I'd spent $150 less on a PSA". However, if you go the PSA route, you might be thinking "Man, I wish I'd spent $150 more on that Colt".
    Don't cheap out, buy quality.

Feedback Score
    I would go with the Colt/BCM idea unless you already ordered the parts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast