Thread: Objective lens size for cqb?

Feedback Score

Objective lens size for cqb?

I was looking at several micro dots (PA micro, bushnell trs25 vortex sparc... etc) as my main optic. up until now I have just been using Iron sights. I would like to have a lower 1/3 co witness. are the micros to small for this set up? Would a larger lens( Eo tech, aimpoint m4, vortex strike fire etc) be a better way to go?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brycewise View Post
    I was looking at several micro dots (PA micro, bushnell trs25 vortex sparc... etc) as my main optic. up until now I have just been using Iron sights. I would like to have a lower 1/3 co witness. are the micros to small for this set up? Would a larger lens( Eo tech, aimpoint m4, vortex strike fire etc) be a better way to go?
    It depends on what the rifle is to be used for. For serious use like defense get the Aimpoint H1 or T1. The M4 is fine but I had one and it does not do anything the lighter smaller T1 does not and it weighs over twice as much. For a training rifle the PA micro gets my vote. I own several and they work well. About the only real improvement that I would like to see is the reticle getting a bit brighter. The PA micor is as good of a sight as the Bushnell or Vortex spark at a far lower cost. If your going to spend more than what the PA costs get the real deal and skip the middle price points.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The fact that you listed several makers of small red dots suggests that since they are so popular, there isn't an issue with objective lense size and a lower 1/3 co-witness. You are over thinking it and have nothing to worry about. I suggest doing a search to see if this hasn't already been discussed.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    You're coming from irons, and with that as a reference point even the micro RDS sights have plentiful field of view, and moving up to a 30mm tube doesn't really help much at all. In fact, the only use I have for my last M4S optic is with a PVS-14 behind it, and even those two are going to go the way of the dodo, since a lower 1/3 cowitnessed Aimpoint H1 or T1 is just as fast, lighter, and cheaper.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister