Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Good cheap w proof wrist watch?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    Sportsmans guide HAD the pathfinders for 95$ back last Xmas, I started to buy one. It didn't. Wish I had. They are tough, now they are $129.
    I love the Gshocks by Casio. Very tough. I had one back in 86, that I traded a guy for, and the factory battery lasted over 10 yrs! Not kidding.
    The band finally ripped at the hole that I latched it with and I retired it shortly after that, it went dead.
    The Casio tough solar power series is a great watch at a great price. You can pick them up pretty reasonable on eBay. Any of the gshocks are great.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    What do you want the watch to do? Give you the approximate time or be a chronometer accurate enough to be a portable time standard for navigation?

If its the earlier I have a Orient Mako Automatic. It will run forever mechanically as long as I don't take it off for over 48 hours. $100

For the later your looking at at least $500 a the bare minimum.
    Last edited by QuackXP; 04-02-12 at 17:33.

Feedback Score
    Victorinox renegade
    130$

Feedback Score
    I have a Casio G-Shock DW6900 that has been worn almost 24/7, except when I'm in the shower, for about four or five years now. The only problem I've had is the retainer that keeps the excess wrist strap contained finally tore and came off, so I replaced it with a black zip tie; for everyone but me, it's unnoticeable (I'm a cheap bastard; not paying $20 for a new strap just because of that).

I've worn it shooting, hunting, fishing, camping, diving (anywhere from 20-60 feet in depth for 45+ minutes per dive, sometimes multiple times per day), doing all sorts of things. It's been gouged, smashed into block walls and trees, nearly torn off my wrist while clearing houses at work, ground into rocks in underwater caves, the whole nine yards. Never failed me yet, except for the above described complaint, and I'd hardly consider that a problem given how much abuse the thing has taken without missing a beat.

Now if I could just figure out how to turn off the midnight alarm I inadvertently set on the damn thing, I'd be happy... maybe I'll give it a shot again while I'm off work this weekend. Not bad for $45 or whatever I paid for it back then. I wanted the Casio Pathfinder, but they didn't have one on Wal-Mart's website and I had a gift card for $30 from there, so I chose this one instead.
    Last edited by Six Feet Under; 06-27-14 at 14:35.
    “Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does.” - William James

"I believe the appropriate metaphor here involves a river of excrement and a Native American water vessel without any means of propulsion."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Seiko 200m+ dive rated automatic watches. I've never had one break and I've had some go through hell and back. If you shop around you can find a nice one for around $200-$300.

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    Its not cheap, but if I can get 3 or more years out of it, I feel I broke even or better. I'm pretty tough on watches, sometimes going through 2 a year or more. So far, the Traser is doing great. Just sayin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Join Gun Owners of America Here

Fear causes hesitation and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true. - The Bodasafa

Feedback Score
    $30-40 watch from the PX. Never really paid attention to the brand. Just discard/lose them every few years. I think I broke the wrist band on one or two of them over the years.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I've only had two watches (for work) since 2002 and they are both G Shocks. The first I loved band broke and it was more for a replacement band (I don't know why) so I ended up buying another G Shock and I love it they only thing I don't like are the red buttons (G9000-1V). So for less than $100 you can get a good watch, but still cheap.

I've stayed away from solar power watches due to my wrist being covered 99% of my workday. I've had a friend who had to make sure he put it outside to charge. So I really don't know much about them.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I have both a Solar Gshock Atomic GW-5500 and an Ironman triathalon. Both are awesome, very functional, and will do anything you need. The ironman is more comfortable, the Gshock is more "stylish" since gshocks are trendy again. I actually sold all my more expensive "nicer" (a couple of Sinns) watches because these do everything I need.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast