Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The importance of owning a precision capable rifle?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggp2jz View Post
    Why does it matter what someone else does with their money?
    I dont think thats the point he's trying to get across

I think he's more trying to ask what a precision optic brings to the table over a RDS in an every day shooting situation in CONUS

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by caelumatra View Post

I think he's more trying to ask what a precision optic brings to the table over a RDS in an every day shooting situation in CONUS
    Exactly!
    Semper Paratus Certified AR15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    If someone can tell me what an 'every day' shooting situation is, I'd be better able to answer the question. Short answer is in the event of an active shooter situation, you have no idea what you're going to need. I'll take some magnification over straight irons or a CCO.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but unless you're a LEO or Mil sniper, what's the point for having a magnified optic on your AR? Long distance paper punching?
    I've wondered the same thing. Outside of hunting or paper punching, I can't think of many civilian "self defense" scenarios that would require a long range scope. There are a couple scenarios where it could be helpful to have magnificaion (getting caught in a "Texas tower shooting" type situation), but a good red dot should be sufficient for civilian AR use I would think.

In my opinion, the ideal mix between a red dot and a scope is having a red dot with a flip-to-side magnifier. This allows you to use your red dot like normal, but have the option of quick magnification if a longer precision shot is necessary.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    I've wondered the same thing. Outside of hunting or paper punching, I can't think of many civilian "self defense" scenarios that would require a long range scope. There are a couple scenarios where it could be helpful to have magnificaion (getting caught in a "Texas tower shooting" type situation), but a good red dot should be sufficient for civilian AR use I would think.

In my opinion, the ideal mix between a red dot and a scope is having a red dot with a flip-to-side magnifier. This allows you to use your red dot like normal, but have the option of quick magnification if a longer precision shot is necessary.
    See, I ran that setup too, but I think you have to be careful when describing the capabilities of the magnifier. "Longer Range" isn't really a capability of the magnifier. "Greater Precision" is. The .223/556 round is pretty flat out to 250, but then it starts dropping quite fast. Also, I know you can walk yourself into a target with a holdover using the RDS/magnifier combo, but I think first round hits are paramount in any practical shooting scenario.
    Semper Paratus Certified AR15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The importance of owning a precision AR is hitting where you're aiming on the target instead of just hitting the target. You don't necessarily have to be very far away to take advantage of this capability, but might not feel comfortable taking the same shot with a regular red dot sight at whatever distance. Additionally, with magnification you will likely be able to better see your target, the surrounding area, and therefore be able to better assess a situation before engaging a threat.

As far as cookie cutter fantasy situations to throw out for discussion, I have none.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

Ah ok. I completely misread what he was saying then.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I can't speak for all, but for me it's mostly because I can and I like to shoot stuff as far away as possible and when I'm on a short range I like to try to shoot teeny groups (as teeny as my ineptitude allows). For me it's relaxing. I do have 2 guns one with a RDS and another with a magnified optic and offset red dot. I'd like to replace this with a 1.x-Y scope eventually when funds clear up. Why? Again cause I can.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with setting up a purpose built gun, so long as you understand the limitations of it. I also like the idea of a 1.x-Y scope or an offset RDS with another magnified optic because they allow for a wider application range. Simply put, its better to have the ability to reach out to 500m, and not need it than to need to reach out and not have it. This assumes that your set up hasn't placed you into the need to shoot inside a room and not have it category.

The other thing that I have noted is that practicing the skills needed to engage at longer ranges rarely hurts short range shooting ability, but the inverse is not always true.

Plus my eyes suck, so I'm in definite need for some magnification for a clear target ID.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As a LEO I have come across one incident I can remember where a magnified optic on an AR would have been useful. A guy woke up one night hearing a scream outside. He looked out his bedroom window and saw his teenage/20 something daughter being attacked by her boyfriend in the street. He opened the window and yelled for him to stop and the guy started to choke her with both hands.

The guy grabs his .357 and jumps out the second floor window onto the hood of his truck. He runs up to the attacker as the daughter is passing out. He then pistol whips the attacker who is still strangling the unconscious girl. After the pistol whip he shoots the attacker in the torso which finally makes him stop.

Many will say that an AR with irons would work in that situation but I wouldnt mind the extra precision of a RECCE with a 1-5x on it.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to write this. This is really "the answer." I just wonder sometimes how much we (me included) "need" the Nightforce, S&B, etc for our paper punching safe queens.
    Hey, quit talking about me!

I agree with his response as well. It's nothing more than a hobby for the vast majority of us. There is more than a bit of fantasy with many and that's okay. Ultimately, it's all about (or should be) about the defense of liberty - though I believe the battle lies OUTSIDE of our "peculiar hobby".
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast