Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Blown up DDM4 (ammo mfg update)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    A squib will do that and so will a fouled barrel. I haven't been around a squib that cycled the action on an AR. I have been witness to a squib from a 7.62 in an HK 91. The guy didn't recognize the issue, yanked the charging handle to load another round, and kaboom.
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    I'm not as senior a reloader as you are, but I was thinking the same thing.

This is curious because I'd expect a squib not to cycle the action and I know with the powders I use it would be difficult to over charge to the extent where that much damage was done. I wonder if it was a bad barrel?
    I agree with these guys, I am surprised that the weapon cycled as well.

my dad made me deathly afraid of that situation when I was younger so I watch for it constantly.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    USA Ammo was the one I was thinking about.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/54...auer_P556.html

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Dan View Post
    IG

I think this is what you are referring to:

OFFICIAL RECALL NOTICE

East Alton, IL – Olin Corporation, through its Winchester Division, is recalling six (6) lots of its RANGER 223 Remington 64 Grain Power-Point (PP) centerfire rifle ammunition (Symbol Number RA223R2). Through extensive evaluation Winchester has determined the lots of RANGER Law Enforcement ammunition listed below may contain incorrect propellant. Incorrect propellant in this ammunition may cause firearm damage, rendering the firearm inoperable, and subject the shooter or bystanders to a risk of serious personal injury when fired. To determine if your ammunition is subject to this notice, review the Lot Number . . .

If the last four characters of the Lot Number are DK01, DK11, DK21, DK31, DK41 or DK51 immediately discontinue use and contact Winchester toll-free at 866-423-5224 to arrange for replacement ammunition and free UPS pick-up of the recalled ammunition.

If you have any questions concerning this RANGER Law Enforcement ammunition recall please call toll-free 866-423-5224, write to Winchester (600 Powder Mill Road, East Alton, IL 62024 Attn: RA223R2 Recall), or visit our website at www.winchester.com.

We used to have this in our ammo supply at work but not the lots mentioned.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    of course, it's always possible that after the squib, the operator did not realize what had happened and charged the weapon. always better to check the weapon after an oddity.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Was the barrel really hot, the customer dumping mags when that happened?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chewie View Post
    of course, it's always possible that after the squib, the operator did not realize what had happened and charged the weapon. always better to check the weapon after an oddity.
    This would be my guess since there was no damage to the BCG or upper receiver.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It has to be a barrel obstruction of some kind, because when a round has been charged with pistol powder(there's simply not enough volume in the case to double charge) or the bullet is set way too deep and raises pressure the bullet never makes it that far down the barrel before the pressure gets high enough to start ripping shit apart.

The receiver is intact, the bolt is intact, and the damage to the barrel is consistent with an obstruction. I'd wager relatively big money that there was nothing abnormal about the round that did it, just something abnormal with the one that came before it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    A range rifle with an unknown history as far as how hot the barrel has been -- if it has been overheated ONCE the molecular structure of that steel is permanently changed and stressed (not for the better).

Combine that with a single over-charged or squib load event and you will get a split barrel exactly as photographed.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I'm thinking squib too. Make sure to update us when you can.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sure looks like a barrel obstruction to me.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Doesn't an over pressure round failure in an AR blow the extractor and take out the upper too in most cases? Just trying to learn here.
    Last edited by AKDoug; 03-11-12 at 13:11.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast