Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PlastiDip PMAG's

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

PlastiDip PMAG's

I have a particular PMAG that has really been a guinea pig for quite a few mods and tweaks..

It started out as a FDE previous gen PMAG, then dremel'ed off a knob, to bring it to current Gen Standards.. Dyed it Red (turned out Maroon) with RID.. Then Dyed it Black.. Then Stipled it, which was great but revealed some of the Red dye.. then took a sharpie to a square take it back to black (looked terrible, don't try)

The other day I PlastiDipped my Lifted Jeep Grand Cherokee's faded and peeling "Jeep" and "V8" emblems.. They turned out great!

Today as I was organizing my safe, I saw this step-child of a Pmag (Mind you, it functions perfectly).. And thought... Hey! PlastiDip!

So, below is a little write up. It turned out really well... Has a very grippy, slightly rubbery feel to it now.

I had time, so I made a little write-up for any interested.

Disassemble, then tape off the important parts (Floor plate, and IMO the upper portion that enters the mag well).. No need to tape off the Window if you have one... we'll get to that.

I sprayed a somewhat think coat of PlastiDip on one side against a large sheet of cardboard, then held it up and sprayed the other sides.. Then.. Hang it to dry.

After the coating begins to dry, dry enough that it's not running, but not completely dry.. Run something pointed (a toothpick would be perfect) around the outer edges of the window, just to sort of score around the border of the Window.. You won't need to do it some much that the line you leave is obvious.. just a couple times around is good enough.

While it's still a little moist (wet enough that it WOULD leave a finger print if you touched it) remove the tape from both ends... Don't touch the plastidip. Then re-Hang it to dry completely (I used a hanger that I cut and shaped for this purpose.

Once it has completely dried (20 minutes or so, but depends on the thickness you applied), rub the plastiDip from the end of the Window on the PMAG.. it will easily come loose and peel off in one piece. Rinse and repeat for the other side.

Re-Assemble the Pmag.. Load it up.. and you're all set for Grippy PMAG's Enjoy!

Last edited by RIDE; 02-27-12 at 14:18.

Feedback Score
    That turned out great!! Plastidip is some cool stuff and Ive used it one anything you can imagine from wheels to paintball and much more.

Feedback Score
    Looks pretty good, I'm sure this will last quiet a while as well. Do you notice any difference in the diameter of the P-mag (is it a tighter fit into the mag well)?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ball29 View Post
    Looks pretty good, I'm sure this will last quiet a while as well. Do you notice any difference in the diameter of the P-mag (is it a tighter fit into the mag well)?
    No diameter change whatsoever in that area, as I taped off the end of the PMAG that inserts into the mag well.

Feedback Score
    Wow. That's actually the first PMAG mod that I actually really like.

Simple, functional, and easy.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    Seeing how easy it peels off the window makes me wonder how durable it will be. How well can this plastidip take a hard scrape?
    Todd
    Colt/BCM

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd00000 View Post
    Seeing how easy it peels off the window makes me wonder how durable it will be. How well can this plastidip take a hard scrape?
    Considering he did that while it was wet...

I think it should be okay.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd00000 View Post
    depends on how thick its sprayed.
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Feedback Score
    Good tip! Thanks.
    BE AN ORGAN DONOR.
    You can give the gift of life to as many as 50 people!
    It takes less than 3 minutes to register.
    Go to: http://donatelife.net/register-now/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    very cool. i have never heard of anyone doing that before

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast