Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another trying to decide thread: SP901 vs Predatar

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I just placed an order for a 18" PredatAR 7.62. I didn't want to wait for the Colt and the SCAR 17 with the obligatory $400 trigger upgrade and magazine supply woes is too much of a headache.

Already have a 7.62 3.5x ACOG waiting, planning to shoot military silhouettes out to 600 yards with surplus ammo. I figure I didn't need the heavier PredatOBR barrel for those goals.

Was told a 16 week wait. I'm not holding my breath.
    Last edited by dmancornell; 03-15-12 at 15:22.

Feedback Score
    I asked my Colt rep about the magazines being compatible with the SR-25 pattern rifles. He said the majority of the modifications were to make the PMag work with the ambidextrous mag release. I should have a mag sometime next week and will try it in a POF I have access to and see if it works.
    Experience Teaches - Dito

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    NickB @ Magpul just confirmed that the 901 will take regular PMAGs in the other thread right below this one.

Not sure where all this bad info is coming from but you guys need better sources.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidsniper View Post
    Just read something interesting, that the PMAGS the 901 takes are not the same as current production PMAG 20LR's. They are proprietary in that the mag catch location had to be different so that the gun could use both catches when going back and forth between the 308 and 5.56 mags. So I wonder then if the proprietary mags are compatible with other sr-25 type platforms such as the LMT MWS, SR25 etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBob View Post
    I just read the same thing.

I won't say where we got the link if you dont....

anyway the original article is here:
    http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?tag=sp901

And at the site we aren't reading on the CtD rep confirmed that it is indeed a different style PMag. As for if the "Colt PMag" works in the LMT/SR-25/LaRue....anybodies guess until we see the design. Apparently it has to do with the bolt catch in the SR-25 vs the AR-15.
    Quote Originally Posted by JChops View Post
    NickB @ Magpul just confirmed that the 901 will take regular PMAGs in the other thread right below this one.

Not sure where all this bad info is coming from but you guys need better sources.
    Passing bullshit on is quite the hobby for some guys......

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Anyways, back on track. Looks like the mag for the 901 is "new" in a sense but not really.

I made my decision though. I ordred a 16in predatar 762 on tuesday. Then of course, Larue started the order for the PredatOBR the next night. So I decided to spend the extra coin and get the heavier profile barrel and the adjustable gas block of the predatOBR. Looks like it only weighs about 3/4 of a pound more than the predatar 762. Looks like I am pretty far up on the list too Hopefully in a couple months I can provide some pics and reviews for you guys.

Thanks for the advice and insight

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake'sDad View Post
    Passing bullshit on is quite the hobby for some guys......
    To whom are you refering. That seems a bit out of line--people found the link, it was refuted by a more reliable source. Drive on. That's why we are here--to get the straight deal.

FWIW Colt has a slightly different spec for the Mag(s) that ship with the 901 but the rifle itself is said to be "Standard 308" PMAG compatible now through various sources. (including the orignal author of the aritcle, who called in contacts for clarification).
    Last edited by TXBob; 03-16-12 at 14:30.

Feedback Score
    Guess I'd wait for better confirmation than a blog by a internet seller, before I passed on a rumor as fact.

But your point is taken, sorry for the harshness.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JPB View Post
    While their 5.56 guns are the mil spec standard, others have far surpassed them now.
    Really? Who makes a better M4 than Colt?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    Really? Who makes a better M4 than Colt?
    I would argue that DD, BCM, and KAC make a superior product. Colt's the standard, but others have chosen to surpass that standard.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JPB View Post
    I would argue that DD, BCM, and KAC make a superior product. Colt's the standard, but others have chosen to surpass that standard.
    KAC doesn't make an M4. What is your argument for the DD and BCM being "better" than Colt? Are the two brands somehow more adherent to the TDP (which they don't have access to)?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast