Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gas piston question

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Feedback Score
    I was in the same situation you are now in about 6 months ago. I bought a piston gun. Based on what I've learned since from cruising this particular forum, I would make different choices could I go back. I'm not saying I know what to tell you, as I am still learning. But I will say that you should go back a few steps and take your time before purchasing. Open your options up to DI guns and other manufacturers - LMT, Colt, Noveske etc.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think rob_s's thread on "An un-qualified opinion" applies to a good portion of the first page...

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?...hlight=opinion
    Last edited by Avenger29; 11-04-09 at 18:17.
    I'm no expert, but I took my CCW course at a Holiday Inn Express

Feedback Score
    I have to admit, I asked the initial question because I was certain that gas pistons were the most dependable, abusable, and indestructable version of AR 15 rifles. I am not that adept yet at gunsmithing and plan to keep my next AR as my " go to " gun for the range and self defense. From reading everybody's responses, I am very glad I asked the question. I am now looking at both DI and piston rifles. I am considering LMT, Noveske, maybe buying parts from Larue and building with local help, LWRC, a DPMS mark12, etc. Thanks for the ideas.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoyguns View Post
    I have to admit, I asked the initial question because I was certain that gas pistons were the most dependable, abusable, and indestructable version of AR 15 rifles. I am not that adept yet at gunsmithing and plan to keep my next AR as my " go to " gun for the range and self defense. From reading everybody's responses, I am very glad I asked the question. I am now looking at both DI and piston rifles. I am considering LMT, Noveske, maybe buying parts from Larue and building with local help, LWRC, a DPMS mark12, etc. Thanks for the ideas.

I'd strongly suggest a standard DI gun of good quality, throw on an Aimpoint and light, and shoot the shit out of it and take it to a carbine course.

Feedback Score
    I am set up for a tactical rifle course at CSAT (Combat Shooting and Tactical) . I will not have a new rifle by then so will use my open sighted Bushmaster. I am looking forward to it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Other choices for Pistons...

I recently was asking myself the same question because I also wanted a gas psiton upper. But after looking into it for a bit I came to the conclusion that I might be better off in getting a rifle designed from the begining as a gas piston insteaad of one that is retrofitted. Right now there are plenty of choices, now some of these may be hard to get but in time that should'nt be a problem. There are three versions of the AUG and all of them asre short stoke. The Magpul/Remington ACR is also a short stroke. FN's SCAR is a shortstoke. All of these also have that ability for a barrel swap, some quicker than others but you get the point.

I'm a former AUG owner and after you get used to the different manual of arms its not that bad. And my Aug never gort near as dirty as my AR's.

Feedback Score
    For all of the piston haters out there , it was just announced that HK beat out Colt and FN in the IAR competition for the Marine Corp.

There must be something good about a Piston AR.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SRT-M4 View Post
    For all of the piston haters out there , it was just announced that HK beat out Colt and FN in the IAR competition for the Marine Corp.

It's not about "piston haters". There are some very good reasons why pistons aren't "all that" as they are portrayed to be.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SRT-M4 View Post

The IAR is a replacement for the SAW (basically). I do not think that anyone would really argue that piston gun is not a good idea for this role.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 11-05-09 at 09:09.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast