Page 32 of 44 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger SR-556

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LX200 View Post
    Snellkid.... it would be really helpful if you could get a picture of your carrier up... some clear detailed shots... I am beginning to wonder if Ruger made changes to the carrier AFTER they started production.

I have a serial of 2xxx, and you are 16,xxx.... a big difference. Everyone is seeing tilt to got them real early.

I am particularly interested in the rear and bottom of the carrier....
    Mine's in the 2,000 serial range and I've got some buffer tube wear.
    Last edited by Tokarev; 07-02-09 at 12:11. Reason: typo

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Bolt Pics

I was looking on the other board and a question on ammo came up concerning Bolt tilt, I am shooting PMC, Lake City and Georgia Arms, all in 55gr.

Still no signs of Bolt Tilt.
    Last edited by snellkid; 07-02-09 at 17:39.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I shot today with my wife (member 9x19) and my buddy Matt (member MTR7 aka Billy Mays). We shot at his range.

The Ruger had 6 stoppages in 1K rounds.
    1st stoppage was a failure to feed with Radway Green 62gr FMJ Radway Green 5.56mm NATO ammo (gun was on setting 2 this happened after 390 rounds. After this stoppage I relubed the rifle with Militec-1).
    2nd stoppage was a failure to extract, a very hard extraction. The extractor ripped part of the rim off an empty casing. I got it out by letting the barrel cool for 4-5 min then pouring water down the barrel followed by the weight of a cleaning rod and out popped the previously stuck empty.
    3rd stoppage with this ammo was a failure to feed shooting the carbine using a urban/roll over prone position.
    3 other stoppages were failures to feed stoppages using American Eagle 50gr hollow-point .223 ammo. It's very apparent that the Ruger does not like this ammo.

Mags used were mostly Magpul PMAGs 20 and 30 rounders and a few Lancer L5 30 round mags.
    Ammo used was 55gr FMJ PMC .223 ammo, American Eagle 50gr HP .223, Federal XM193 55gr FMJ, Radway Green 62gr FMJ 5.56mm, Lake City M855 62gr 5.56mm, American Eagle 55gr FMJ .223 and Prvi 62gr FMJ 5.56mm NATO 'green tip'.

Shooting positions were off the bench sandbagged, kneeling, prone, urban/rollover prone, standing and SBU.
    Optic was an Aimpoint M4S in a Bobro BLAC (QD) mount.

We took turns shooting and shot the 1K rounds in about 5 1/2 hrs, just over 250 rounds were shot suppressed on gas setting 1 with my AAC M4-2000 Mod 07. During the suppressed shooting the bolt, carrier and upper receiver got a lot dirtier very quickly, not surprising as this typically occurs in both DI and piston guns.

Conclusion:

This many stoppages in my opinion are unacceptable even with a new rifle. It did do better than I thought it would have but still in my opinion it didn't do any better than I have had direct impingement AR15s do. I've had DI ARs do 1/2 and less than that stoppages in the first 1K rounds. The receiver extension does show signs of pretty extreme bolt tilt....not good. I can't recommend this rifle.

This gun gets extremely hot. We had to stop 8 times to let it cool down and try again. We used the 3 Troy rail covers that came with it. 3 Magpul XT rail covers and a Daniel Defense forward grip. Toward the end of the day one of the Troy rail covers self ejected and popped off on its own because of the heat. My wife did burn her self touching the gas block on accident. I think the Ruger gets hotter than DI guns because the barrel isn't free floated and does contact the proprietary Troy rail quite a bit (not a wise decision IMHO). The Ruger is very accurate even while being hot. I shot a 1/2" group at 50yds using the 2MOA dot of the Aimpoint M4S half way through the day. Most of the shooting was at steel at 200yds. Two small silhouette Rams and two 9"x13" plates. I started suffering from some eye strain and starting missing the small rams and even the larger steel more than a few times (I'm left eye dominant but shoot rifles right handed). When my right eye starts straining I have to close my left eye and my right one will start having something going on similar to tunnel vision after that I started shooting a little left handed. Matt and my wife were ringing that steel like crazy both are solid damn great shooters. I removed the Aimpoint twice during the day, if the Bobro mount causes a shift it wasn't noticed. The Ruger would hit that steel every time if you do your part at 200yds.

Ruger with all the mags emptied today shooting.

The receiver extension at the end of the day you can feel the divot left by the carrier with your finger and you can clearly see the evidence of carrier tilt:

Last edited by Robb Jensen; 07-05-09 at 08:02.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    but...but...its a piston AR! it must be better! and it comes with THREE Pmags! that has got to count for something, right??? RIGHT????

seriously though, good review...

and more importantly

you painted your Comp M4...thats badass

because, lets face it, guns come and go, but accessorizing effectively and in a color coordinated manner lasts forever ....

/e wonders if he can convince gotm4 to paint his micro..../e
    VA Arms Co alumnus

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by snellkid View Post
    I bought my SR 556 about two weeks ago, so far around 500rds through it, still no signs of Bolt tilt. Serial #590-165XX.
    I'm still deciding what HWS to put on it, Thinking about an Aimpoint M4s w/ 3X Magnifier from Larue.

Interesting mine is just under your serial number range:

I'm having a lot of carrier tilt signs at 1K rounds:

I'd recommend an Aimpoint M4S and a Bobro BLAC mount, that's what I used for the 1K rounds.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My buffer tube with something like 900-1,000 rounds fired.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Good post Rob. It is what I had expected.

I am guestimating once we see these guns with around 5k-8K, things will start to break.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kmrtnsn View Post
    "Remember that Ruger knows about as much about how to build an AR as my Mother does. "

What did FN know about building AR's before they sold the Government several hundred thousand M16A2's?
    Apples =/ Oranges.

FN was given the drawings and all technical information for the Colt M16A2 and told "make these".

Rugar designed this essentially from scratch.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Note to self:

Never be the first in the pool.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    Note to self:

Never be the first in the pool.
    That's why I didn't buy this rifle my boss did.

Page 32 of 44 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast