Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: magazine questions

Feedback Score

magazine questions

I'm looking to buy a few more Pmags, but before I do, I have some questions I hope the experts here can answer.

I have read on this and other boards that the new M-rev P30 offers some improvements over previous P30's. Specifically, they are a little stronger, better able to withstand extreme temps, improved compatibility with stripper clips, dust cover storage, and some cosmetic changes which may or may not be related to these improvements. I understand the "older" P30's are in no way inferior to the newer M-rev, but the new M-rev offers some refinements.

My questions...

1) Just how much better are the M-rev's? How much stronger, and in what way? Better able to withstand what? Do the M-rev's crack less often in extreme cold, or melt less in extreme heat, or what? In what way is the M-rev better with stripper clips?

2) Are followers, floor plates, inserts, and dust covers interchangeable between P30's built in 2008 and the new M-rev?

These questions are not merely academic. I have a supply of P30's built in 2008, and I plan on buying more.

I can buy more '08 P30's or I can buy the M-rev. Same price. If parts are interchangeable, I'll go for the latest and greatest. If parts are not, than I need to decide if parts interchangeability is more important than a product improvement. That's why I want to know just how much of an improvement there is.

3) I also see there is a new M-rev windowed P30. I know most have said they do not think the window is a tremendous advantage, and the consensus seems to be a preference for non-windowed P30's. The only real advantage I can see for the window is following a tactical reload, and after everything has settled down, the window would make it easier to tell which magazine(s) needed a top off, and how much to top off. Is there another tactical reason to prefer the window?

4) Finally, Magpul offers the dust cover, in part, to prevent feed lip creep if the mag is left loaded for extended periods of time. Enough people have commented that aluminum USGI mags have experienced feed lip creep for the dust cover to sound like a real advantage. However, how come we never hear of feed lip creep on pistol mags? Glock, Beretta, Sig, HK, and others all offer high capacity double stack mags, but no one has mentioned problems with the lips separating (at least as far as I know). Has anyone heard of this being a pistol magazine problem? People keep asking about magazine springs, but I don't ever remember seeing anyone ask about, or report that their feed lips spread and the mag failed to feed.

Any comments?

Feedback Score
    Seventy-one views, and no opinions? Did I piss someone off?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Feedlip creep is overhyped like a mother. Some piss poor welded or hard used USGI mags will get it, but it's way overblown.

IMO, the Pmag cover is an example of no good deed going unpunished. They put a nice little feature on the mag, and people assume that it's a fix for a flaw with the mag's design.

Storing mags loaded will not cause feed lips to spread. Shooting the crap out of them and wearing them out is the only way to make that happen.

Feedback Score

P-Mags

Personally, I say just buy whichever you can find.

I am buy no means an expert on the P-mag. But, I recently purchased some. I have been dropping, kicking, throwing, and am considering running-over one with my truck. To see if it will still work.

That said, I can say after becoming familiar with the Magpul P-Mag. I am IMPRESSED. Alaskapopo and some others have posted evals and photos regarding the durability of theses mags, so I would suggest you do a search for the threads.

Finally, IMHO unless you jump-out of planes, dive, and/ or rappel from helicopters for a living, then I am pretty sure any of the P-Mags will serve you well.

Good Luck,
    SkiDevil

P.S. After dropping my pretty $50.00 HK mag on the tile floor of the living room and seeing the dent at the bottom. I will be buying P-Mags from now on.

Feedback Score
    Your concerns are not necessary. Unless you have a euro type rifle (HK,SA80, ect...) either Pmag will do. Both Pmags are probably the best AR mags built to date and the most sought after. I had the same concerns about storing loaded mags. I have plenty of older design Pmags and USGI AR mags, stored fully loaded (30 rnds) for over two years. I tested two of each last week, they both worked as advertised during slow and rapid fire. I also inspected all of the stored mags after I got back. None showed any signs of deformed feed lips or cracking. As MarkM said, they get worn by use, same as your weapon. Choose your favorite color and buy with confidence.
    Last edited by RogerinTPA; 06-12-09 at 16:26.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by moonshot View Post
    Seventy-one views, and no opinions? Did I piss someone off?
    Many people read posts and don't have anything to contribute to the topic. Many are also looking for the same answers that you are so be patient. You posed some well thought out questions and I'm sure soon enough you'll have more answers than you know what to do with
    I'm sure one of the Magpul guys will chime in shortly and give you all the info you could ever want on PMags.

Feedback Score
    Sorry if I didn't read your OP right, but as I see it, the coolest thing about the new p-mags is that the dust cover fits on the bottom. If I could trade all of my mags for those, I would. I see no reason to buy old p-mags, if new p-mags are available. I don't use the windows on the windowed p-mags I have. The benefit of that option hasn't sunk in for me.
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Feedback Score
    1) Just how much better are the M-rev's? How much stronger, and in what way? Better able to withstand what? Do the M-rev's crack less often in extreme cold, or melt less in extreme heat, or what? In what way is the M-rev better with stripper clips?
    "Stronger" is difficult to measure sometimes. The M-rev is certainly as strong if not stronger than the original PMAG despite having slightly lower profile ribs. Initial testing does show improved cold weather and standard drop test performance, but how much improved is somewhat difficult to define: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ggogp67rRU

2) Are followers, floor plates, inserts, and dust covers interchangeable between P30's built in 2008 and the new M-rev?
    Internal components are not interchangeable. You can interchange the floorplates, but if you put a non-M floorplate on an M-rev magazine, you lose the ability to store the dust cover on the bottom. Additionally, you can use a non-M dust cover on the top of an M-rev magazine, but you cannot store a non-M dust cover on the floorplate of an M-rev magazine.

4) Finally, Magpul offers the dust cover, in part, to prevent feed lip creep if the mag is left loaded for extended periods of time. Enough people have commented that aluminum USGI mags have experienced feed lip creep for the dust cover to sound like a real advantage. However, how come we never hear of feed lip creep on pistol mags? Glock, Beretta, Sig, HK, and others all offer high capacity double stack mags, but no one has mentioned problems with the lips separating (at least as far as I know). Has anyone heard of this being a pistol magazine problem? People keep asking about magazine springs, but I don't ever remember seeing anyone ask about, or report that their feed lips spread and the mag failed to feed.
    PMAG feedlips do not creep. We have had magazines loaded with 30 rounds without snap cover for over two years now - no creep whatsoever. As markm pointed out, no good deed goes unpunished - the snap cover is simply protection from dirt/debris intrusion and added insurance that they won't get damaged during storage from impact.
    --Nick
    Owner, Reptilia & Side Project, LLC

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiDevil View Post
    Personally, I say just buy whichever you can find.

I am buy no means an expert on the P-mag. But, I recently purchased some. I have been dropping, kicking, throwing, and am considering running-over one with my truck. To see if it will still work.

That said, I can say after becoming familiar with the Magpul P-Mag. I am IMPRESSED. Alaskapopo and some others have posted evals and photos regarding the durability of theses mags, so I would suggest you do a search for the threads.

Finally, IMHO unless you jump-out of planes, dive, and/ or rappel from helicopters for a living, then I am pretty sure any of the P-Mags will serve you well.

Good Luck,
    SkiDevil

P.S. After dropping my pretty $50.00 HK mag on the tile floor of the living room and seeing the dent at the bottom. I will be buying P-Mags from now on.
    Glad you're pleased with the PMAG so far. That said, you might be surprised how many people who jump out of planes, dive, and rappel from helicopters for a living are using the PMAG exclusively...
    --Nick
    Owner, Reptilia & Side Project, LLC

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    I was going to ask a similar question actually. Glad I saw this thread first. I have about 25 Spare USGI Mags that I am thinking of selling or Trading for PMAGS. My only concern was stripper clip compatibility which I have heard can be a problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast