Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Best Muzzle Brake?

Feedback Score
    I'm glad to see that you found our voodoo works.

The FSC556 was a result of R&D done for us by the ATF. When we got the images back from BATFE Firearms Division on the DNTC, we noticed that the majority (90% or so) of the flash was in front of the comp. Common sense would tell you that looking at the DNTC, it would blow fire out of the sides like a hot rod car. So this was very interesting to us.

So - the "faux fingers" were added to attempt to wipe out the flame in front and viola! - it worked! Thus the FSC556 was born. It took some more tweaking to find the sweet spot where everything worked as well as possible, but that was the basic concept.

As far as the noise goes - there is more pressure than the A2 being forced out of the sides - so there is a perception that is louder than even the reported 1.5db. However, that is what we found when metered - and yes - it was Phil's meter and he was kind enough to do the test for us.

Hope this helps.

Todd

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    My purchase is making me feel warm and fuzzy now

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I have a feeling that this thread will and has resulted in a lot of people getting off of the fence with respect to the FSC556 and buying one for one or more of their carbines. As for myself, I have been wanting to try one out based on the positive reviews I have read here and on LF. I already have one of the DNTC's courtesy of GotM4. I now feel compelled to try out the FSC556.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    I really don't understand wanting a muzzle brake for an AR.
    Some people like the reduce recoil for faster controlled pairs. The key word in your sentence was "want."

For the few that are able to own F/A, the FSC556 makes a huge difference.

Just curious, why did AAC decide not to work with Todd on getting the OMNI to work with the FSC556 like Gemtech did with the HALO?

I'm really not trying to start a flame war or anything, but I like your products and own quite a few cans from AAC. I would prefer to use an OMNI instead of a HALO on my FSC556.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Thomas View Post
    I have a feeling that this thread will and has resulted in a lot of people getting off of the fence with respect to the FSC556 and buying one for one or more of their carbines. As for myself, I have been wanting to try one out based on the positive reviews I have read here and on LF. I already have one of the DNTC's courtesy of GotM4. I now feel compelled to try out the FSC556.
    I cannot wait until mine arrives. It seems that even the skeptics like it.

Feedback Score
    I'm waiting for more Vltor vs. FSC info. The price difference demands it.

Feedback Score
    I bought a FSC556 and have it on my issue M4. I have used a few other comps and to me at least, it is clear that it is less "blasty" to guys shooting beside you. I wouldn't considered any other the other comps I've tried on a work gun. (All of those comps were designed for competition shooters). I also think the flash hider prongs worked OK. It certainly has less flash than the Miculek comp.

However, in my experience the FSC556 is not the best comp for reducing recoil. The other comps I've tried all shoot softer and seemed to have less muzzle rise.

But since it isn't as harsh to those around me as those other comps, I'm willing to allow the tradeoff. Less blasty and less flash, but not quite as soft shooting. You can't have everything.

It does have a little bit more dust signature from the prone than an A2 flash hider, but I'm not worried about that.

I have no reliable way to test for recoil reduction so I do not know how well it works as a muzzle brake.
    Front Sight magazine has already done a test. The writer put wheels on a rifle rest and measured the rearward travel with no muzzle brake and then with various comps. The DNTC finished 7th out of 7 in controlling rearward movement, and tied for 3rd in the amount of downward force it generated. (The article stated that all of the comps were very close in the amount of downward force they created. The writer indexed the comp 90 degrees from the correct position to measure downward force . I think it's one thing to control felt recoil, and another thing to control muzzle flip. An AR that still has recoil but no muzzle rise is very shootable. )

The comps were ranked in this order in reducing rearward movement:
    TTI Eliminator (tied for first) (reduced rearward movement by 63%)
    SJC (tied for first) (63%)
    JP Tank (61%)
    Miculek (58%)
    Bennie Hill's Rolling Thunder (57%)
    Bennie Cooley's (made by JP) (56%)
    Sabre's Gill (54%)
    DNTC (43%)

I haven't tried the TTI or SJC, but I woudn't consider any of the others except for the DNTC for a work gun that might be shot close to someone.

But I'd use a Miculek for 3-gun.

I haven't tried Surefire's comp or the MSTN/PRI comp. I'd like to see how harsh they are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The Archangel View Post

Just curious, why did AAC decide not to work with Todd on getting the OMNI to work with the FSC556 like Gemtech did with the HALO?

I'm really not trying to start a flame war or anything, but I like your products and own quite a few cans from AAC. I would prefer to use an OMNI instead of a HALO on my FSC556.
    I have been working on OMNI drawings for future versions so if someone had asked me I would have tried to make it happen. At least if I had been sent one to test as I did not believe in it until I tested it.
    Last edited by rsilvers; 03-13-08 at 14:00.

Feedback Score
    I sent some samples of the DNTC to AAC to see what modificaitons we could make to get it to work with the Omni. When I emailed to find out if it worked, I was told that it would not work with the Omni due to some differences in dimensions. I replied back to the email asking what dimensions we needed to change and I never recieved a reply.

We will work with anyone that is willing to work with us - but I can't force anyone to work with me that does not wish to do so.

As far as the function of our products - we feel there is enough crap products in the gun industry which is why we strive to make things that simply work better. If it has been done and been done well, then there is no reason for us to mess with it. If it has been done OK and there is room for improvement, then we go after it and if we can make vast improvements, then we have a new product.

Hope this helps.

Todd

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I have been working on OMNI drawings for future versions so if someone had asked me I would have tried to make it happen. At least if I had been sent one to test as I did not believe in it until I tested it.

Later today can you post the pics comparing it the the A2 cage? I am interested to see that one.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast