Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Corrosion Testing (New Pics - 5-08-12)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lomshek View Post
    It seems rather unlikely that a major corporation (Sherwin Williams) would market a dangerous-to-humans...oil.

Dude, not to call you out on it, but your kidding right? Major corporations as a general rule care about how harmful their chemicals are to people???
    I mean yea they put warnings on them, but they still have them on the market. They leave it up to the user to take the necessary precautions. Make no mistake, They ARE dangerous. A lot of what I read caution about LONG term effects to things like your nervous system.
    My sister worked at a "Sherwin Williams" before she started to work in the dentistry industry & even most of their paint have chemicals that is hazardous to you. Not to mention their "Industrial", Hardcore stuff.
    I mean, even my bore brushes had warnings on the packages that stated- "warning, this products contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause Cancer, Birth defects & reproductive harm." I see that more now days than anything, like on packages of Lube, Solvent, etc...
    If using "some" of the hazardous products in this test that show corrosion inhibitory properties, I'm going to Take a little more care. I'm not going to protect my gun & not myself. After all my guns are nothing without me.
    There are some Lubes out there that say non-toxic though, like TW23B, Frog Lube & some others, but if one says its hazardous to your health, I'm inclined to think its hazardous to your health.
    Just sayin man.
    Instructor-Basic, Intermediate & Advanced Combative Techniques for Carbine & Pistol

"Responsibility for your Protection & Superiority in Combat starts here... at Lakeview Combative Training."-Ghostmaker

"FROG LUBE doubles as my TOOTH PASTE."-Ghostmaker

"Be Professional at making Ghosts." -Ghostmaker

Feedback Score
    Of course paint, oil and just about everything else we use in our daily lives is harmful if you ingest buckets of it or huff it daily. Since we still paint our houses and fix our cars in spite of the "dangers" it must be that the risk of harm from normal use is minimized with normal handling common sense.

I use Tri Flow on my bicycles and guns not as a pasta sauce.

A lot of us change our car oil and top off brake, transmission and steering fluid as needed in spite of the fact that the state of California has determined those substances cause cancer (what doesn't to those nanny-staters).

If a person wants to use biodegradable oils then more power to them. I have yet to find any bio stuff that works as well as the death lubes.

Tri Flow (nor anything else containing teflon) turns into nerve gas when put in a gun. The processes are out of my expertise but a wee bit more involved than that.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Ya'll ever hear of a Material Safety Data Sheet or MSDS for short?

A manufacturer, by law, must provide you one upon request.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes, and every one of the products being discussed publishes it on their website.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Thank you so much for taking the time to do the experiment, there is alot of great information here. myself like many here are suprised about froglube not doing as well as advertised.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo45 View Post
    Yeah, I've read all about it. I think most of the hype was concerning using teflon in the bore. With the very small amount left behind several dry patches, I don't worry about it in a chrome lined barrel, not designed for precision. Others claim phosgene gas, or something similar is produced by burning teflon. Again, with the amounts that could possibly be released in the open air, on the first round or two fired, it isn't a valid concern to me. Maybe if you fired copious amounts of teflon coated bullets in an enclosed range, maybe a bad idea. I'd be more worried about lead/mercury exposure from the firing process inherent in firing any gun, than this possibility of inhaling a trace amount of phosgene (or whatever gas some claim is made from burnt teflon) gas during the first few rounds. Besides, Remoil has teflon too, and is designed for use in guns. Plus we cook and eat food off of very hot teflon cookware all the time. Not saying all the toxic chemicals we are exposed to everyday are healthy, just a fact of life in this day and age.
    PolyTetraFloroEthelyne--PTFE--Teflon turns into Hydrofloric Acid when you heat it real hot like in a bore. The hypothesis is it can etch th ebore. In fact, it would be a very small trace amount. Just don't leave a huge residue in the bore.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lomshek View Post
    Of course paint, oil and just about everything else we use in our daily lives is harmful if you ingest buckets of it or huff it daily. Since we still paint our houses and fix our cars in spite of the "dangers" it must be that the risk of harm from normal use is minimized with normal handling common sense.

I use Tri Flow on my bicycles and guns not as a pasta sauce.

If a person wants to use biodegradable oils then more power to them. I have yet to find any bio stuff that works as well as the death lubes.

Tri Flow (nor anything else containing teflon) turns into nerve gas when put in a gun. The processes are out of my expertise but a wee bit more involved than that.
    Well, you see, in your post, you said something close to -I doubt a major corporation like Sherwin Williams would market a dangerous-to humans oil.- Which is not true, hence my post. You did not elaborate that you meant if using proper precautions.

It seemed like you was saying there was no danger AT ALL which is why I responded. Using proper precautions may protect you when using those products, of course, thats what i stated & I DID NOT say someone should NOT USE said products or that they turn into nerve gas, but I stated factual information about what the manufactures has said to be true themselves, like they are in fact dangerous to humans through prolonged exposure, etc... I said nothing about using it on your favorite pasta.

Again, In NO WAY, was my post stating that someone should NOT use those products, but was stating they are in fact, toxic.

Through extensive T & E's of products for friction inhibitory properties I have found Non-toxic Frog Lube to be one of the best, with the exception of not having magnificent, worst case, long-term corrosion combativeness, obviously as seen in this test.
    In our evaluation, FL was better at inhibiting friction longer at a wide variety of temperatures & environmental variables than the so called "death lube" Tri-flow which was also tested. Not to say it didn't perform adequately, because it did.
    Last edited by Ghostmaker; 05-08-12 at 00:48.
    Instructor-Basic, Intermediate & Advanced Combative Techniques for Carbine & Pistol

"Responsibility for your Protection & Superiority in Combat starts here... at Lakeview Combative Training."-Ghostmaker

"FROG LUBE doubles as my TOOTH PASTE."-Ghostmaker

"Be Professional at making Ghosts." -Ghostmaker

Feedback Score

NewPics 5-08-12

I have had the board setting outside for the past few days. Before I put it out I resprayed it with salt water and let it dry first. We've had rain off and on the past days and the board has been fully exposed. This certainly would be hard core worst case scenario. Short of leaving them under water, I can't make it much worse. All of the samples are now showing some degree of corrosion. Even my beloved Eezox.

Take away from this what you will. I hope it's been helpful. Thanks for the feedback.

Wedge

"The history of gun fighting fails to record a single fatality resulting from a quick noise...speed's fine, but accuracy is final." William H. Jordan 1965

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks again for the great pics.

Seems like a common feature of several--but not all--of the products that are doing well is that they are set up to stick better to the metal: for instance, greases or the waxy-like substance in Boeshield.

Another interesting thing is how well that S&W stuff is doing, that surprises me as I never thought of S&W products as being serious contenders. What is the full name of the product you tested? They seem to have about 10 different products floating around.

Feedback Score
    Hmm, seems about right. Precursory evaluation shows that the lubes/oils that are SYNTHETIC based products did much better than the water-based products. The grease products with their mechanical coating properties definitely showed good marks as well.

So, it seems to me that there are 2 ways to evaluate this experiment:
    1) Products that clearly coat and remain in place show good results
    2) Products that are synthetic based (e.g. Eezox) also show good results.

I think it would be a good exercise to run an enhanced engineering-analysis further evaluating the experiment. Thinking out loud for a second, I think an interesting way to quantify the amount of corrosion is to run a current through the washer and measure its resistance. Also, it would be possible to quantify the lube/greases flow characteristics by measuring the time it takes a known quantify to travel across a known distance. All of this information can then be used to show a quantifiable improvement.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast