Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sights for G17

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    AmeriGlo CAP:

I am using the orange front with green insert.
    The orange stands out really well against every background and has a very thin black outline for precision work.
    The front sight is very obvious, even when target focused.

The front sight appears darker and more red than it is.

It is easily centered, and contrary to my previous perception, the low sight height is not a bad thing at all. The front sight still presents a crisp edge for precision work (mine shoot to tip of blade at 25 yards with 115gr ammo, still need to check my HST). I really like that, as covering the target at that distance can be a little iffy for me.
    The ProOperator rear has subdued tritium, so it pretty much looks like a black rear until lighting conditions bring the tritium out. I was a firm "figure 8" guy for a while, but having 2-dot rears does make vertical centering much easier and repeatable.

My rears are yellow, but I wouldn't mind if they were green, as the front sight's green insert is noticably more pronounced.
    The rear has a nice ledge for one-handed slide retraction but isn't overly sharp or catchy.
    I tried quite a few different sights and asked quite a few different guys about what they were using, and the CAP/ProOperator fill all of my needs better than any others so far. There are guys that I have a lot of respect for that prefer plain black sights, but I have had issues with certain lighting conditions and target colors that make that arraingement harder for me to work with than having a bright front sight or tritium (depending on condition). I was painting my front sights orange (tip I picked up from other action pistol shooters), and I noticed that doing so greatly increased my front sight pick-up and awareness.

I was using Warren Tacticals on my pistols, and my G19 still wears them, but if the CAP/ProOp stand up over the next few months they will probably be replaced.

I can't say that the CAP/ProOp is the optimal setup for everyone, but it works for me.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Thank you for the write up, F2S. I recently snagged a police trade-in Gen2 G19 from AIM Surplus. I've tried the Ameriglo Hackathorns on another Glock, and really like the painted\tritium front sight. When your eyeballs are well past 50, they need all the help they can get.

I'm going to snag a set like yours, and try them out.

Thanks for your time on the writeup.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    AmeriGlo CAP:

The orange stands out really well against every background and has a very thin black outline for precision work.

It is easily centered, and contrary to my previous perception, the low sight height is not a bad thing at all. The front sight still presents a crisp edge for precision work (mine shoot to tip of blade at 25 yards with 115gr ammo, still need to check my HST). I really like that, as covering the target at that distance can be a little iffy for me.
    The ProOperator rear has subdued tritium, so it pretty much looks like a black rear until lighting conditions bring the tritium out. I was a firm "figure 8" guy for a while, but having 2-dot rears does make vertical centering much easier and repeatable.

My rears are yellow, but I wouldn't mind if they were green, as the front sight's green insert is noticably more pronounced.
    The rear has a nice ledge for one-handed slide retraction but isn't overly sharp or catchy.
    I tried quite a few different sights and asked quite a few different guys about what they were using, and the CAP/ProOperator fill all of my needs better than any others so far. There are guys that I have a lot of respect for that prefer plain black sights, but I have had issues with certain lighting conditions and target colors that make that arraingement harder for me to work with than having a bright front sight or tritium (depending on condition). I was painting my front sights orange (tip I picked up from other action pistol shooters), and I noticed that doing so greatly increased my front sight pick-up and awareness.

I was using Warren Tacticals on my pistols, and my G19 still wears them, but if the CAP/ProOp stand up over the next few months they will probably be replaced.

I can't say that the CAP/ProOp is the optimal setup for everyone, but it works for me.
    Thank you for your write up and pics sir

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ck1 View Post
    I like and recommend the Ameriglo Defoor sights also. IMHO they equal the excellent Warren Tactical Sevigny competition sights (which I also am very familiar with and fond of) as they are exactly the same ratios (rear notch and front width). The Defoor's are just a lower-to-the-slide set-up compared to the Sevigny's which sit taller off the gun. Also, the Defoor's can be had for around $30 a set these days which doesn't hurt.
    FWIW, I find I prefer the taller set of the two spec'd for the .45/10mm's (.272" tall rear) as this puts POA/POI exactly at the tip of the front blade out to 15yrds or so, and more of a "lollipop" at 25yrds where they print a couple inches above the top of the front blade (as is the case with the Sevigny's with the standard .215" front blade also).

That said, they're plain all-black irons which aren't for everybody. There are "tricker" set-ups out there like the Ameriglo Hack sets or CAP sets that do indeed really grab one's visual attention (at the expense of some precision). I was once a big fan of those types, and some really good shooters do still prefer them (mostly do to them delivering quick acquisition)... But, that said, IMO once one goes to all-black irons (and FYI, adapting to them means a longer learning curve), there's no going back, it's just such a crisp and uncomplicated sight picture that all the others start to seem gimmicky in comparison. I find my times running most drills and standards are virtually identical whether it's irons or the more quick acquisition type of sights, but with irons I can zap a little square paster out to nearly 15yrds or so almost on command, with the "busier" sights that just ain't happening.

Everyone (and everyone's eyes) are different, so try checking out as many as you can before you buy.

Good luck.
    Thank you sir

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Ameriglow I-Dot, yup
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    AmeriGlo CAP:

What are your thoughts on the wider rear notch of the pro operators relative to their regular offerings? How does the wider notch behave in regards to precision work or on shorter compact slides like a G19?
    Last edited by B52U; 04-13-12 at 09:40.

Feedback Score
    FYI, Redback sights aren't sold out, they haven't even come in yet. Check out the thread on them.

I don't use night sights, but I use a wide, extended black Ameriglo rear sight and a .115 red "bar" front, which Ameriglo doesn't sell anymore. It's not the most accurate setup, but it's very easy to track the bright red front on a black rear during rapid fire. Wide rear means the front sight won't get hidden behind it as easily. I find the main reason it's not so accurate is because the red bar is oblong, which means I don't get a crisp sight picture. But it's "combat accurate."

If I find a paint as bright as my current front sight post, I'll replace with the plain black sight and paint it.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyVain View Post
    FYI, Redback sights aren't sold out, they haven't even come in yet. Check out the thread on them.

I don't use night sights, but I use a wide, extended black Ameriglo rear sight and a .115 red "bar" front, which Ameriglo doesn't sell anymore. It's not the most accurate setup, but it's very easy to track the bright red front on a black rear during rapid fire. Wide rear means the front sight won't get hidden behind it as easily. I find the main reason it's not so accurate is because the red bar is oblong, which means I don't get a crisp sight picture. But it's "combat accurate."

If I find a paint as bright as my current front sight post, I'll replace with the plain black sight and paint it.

Johnny,

your wrong their was an initial run of rb-1 sights earlier this year, around the end of January or so and they were sold out by the first week in March.

-Dave

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    AmeriGlo CAP:

I am using the orange front with green insert...
    F2S, have you tried a green/green version of the CAP sights to compare with an orange one?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Piggybacking on this thread; I called Ameriglo yesterday as I currently use the Hackathorn sights to see what the difference between the front sight of the CAP sights and the Hackathorns. Sally (I think that was her name) told me that they are the exact same except the orange paint on the Hack's are round and square on the Cap's. So my questions for those who have used both are:

1. Do you think the shape of the orange paint makes any difference while shooting

2. Do you think the Pro Operators because of the two dots lining up with the front dot makes a difference.

My questions relate to accuracy at speed. I love the Hacks but I still seem to have accuracy problems at longer ranges. I am sure that some of it is me and someone will be helping me with that next weekend, but I also, because of eyesight, have a little problem getting a good crisp focus on the top edge of the front sight.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast