Thread: It's 2023, what role does the shotgun fill today?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    The difference between slugs and 5.56 in this scenario are largely a matter of preference.
    While I would largely agree with that statement, I think a big problem with getting is that it seems that not many people run slug-only load-outs, it seems, but instead seem to favor buckshot primarily, and running a select slug when the extra precision is needed. The problem with that is now you need to run that drill with the slug select, which will realistically burn up quite a few seconds, which could be a serious problem if the opponent is using someone as a human shield rather than simply as a hostage for negotiation. There is also the question of what the sights are zeroed for; I would think that most folks would zero for the slug, but if they're primarily seeing it used a buck and zero for that, it could also be problematic.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 03-21-24 at 14:50.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    While I would largely agree with that statement, I think a big problem with getting is that it seems that not many people run slug-only load-outs, it seems, but instead seem to favor buckshot primarily, and running a select slug when the extra precision is needed. The problem with that is now you need to run that drill with the slug select, which will realistically burn up quite a few seconds, which could be a serious problem if the opponent is using someone as a human shield rather than simply as a hostage for negotiation. There is also the question of what the sights are zeroed for; I would think that most folks would zero for the slug, but if they're primarily seeing it used a buck and zero for that, it could also be problematic.
    I'm just a poor, I can't take 25 yard hostage shots in my house.

One of the most enjoyable drills we ran during our shotgun instructor course was the precision placement drill - 00B from the high ready (basically international skeet ready) on the buzzer at 5yards with a cardboard target in front of the metal giving you a headshot over the 'hostage' shoulder. Think head of a USPSA target. Generally under 1 second and generally the only marks on the hostage were from the FC wad. One of the reasons I use Brenneke slugs only in my HD shotguns.

Unless I'm hunting with slugs I see no reason for anything other than a bead on a shotgun. If you learn to mount the shotgun correctly, sighting systems other than beads slow you down within 'normal' buckshot engagement distances, IMO.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee