Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cost to reload?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    if you had a 350 legend you were able to shoot the whole time during the bat flu. And ever since dipshit got rid of the russian steel case ammo, I have never found so much brass cased ammo at the range. We hardly ever see steel case right now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    You can't factor in the price of independent ammo manufacture. If it is not on the shelf, you can be creative at home with reloading stock. Kind of like cooking, nothing to eat at home? With some creativity and a few good cook books, ammo can be made with an assortment of components. During covid times, the only people shooting were reloaders.
    That's a good way to look at it.

People forget that during some panics 9mm FMJ jumps to $20 /50 with very few choices while remaining the "cheapest" centerfire ammo to shoot! 147 gr 9mm, .38 special, .45 acp and others were $40/50 and sparse even at that price.

Rifle rounds go to .80 - $1 per shot for the cheapest .223. Everything else was more.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    It's crazy. I try not to think too much about cost per round. I have old primers that the replacement cost would be 20-25 TIMES, my purchase price. That's the one component I stacked stupid deep when they were silly cheap.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    55 grain 223 is costing me 17 cents per round but most of those components were bought five or more years ago.

Right now, that same load is probably about 25-30 cpr.

That said, I rarely load the cheap stuff. Match ammo is where the money is saved, typically 50%.

Feedback Score
    As a guy who I took up reloading during COVID, I can tell you it can be done and while I’m not sitting on any $0.04 primers or $15/lb powder, it’s still all relative to ammo prices.

I made the decision to NOT go single stage and bought a Dillon 550 new from Scheels. Best decision I made.

Primers are getting reasonable so if you are even thinking about this, buy them now. Powder is the crazy component at this time but when you decide on a powder, buy in bulk when you find it on sale. And for me, I have a couple different powders I will use. My go-to powder is Vihtavuori…N320 and 3N37 for pistol, N140 for rifle (.223 & .308).

Bullets seem to be the one fairly consistent component…I am not pretty much buying mostly from Rocky Mountain Reloading as their projectiles work great for my needs…and they have some very good deals.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If we are forced to pay more for powder, might as well buy the best. The VV powders are magical.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12