Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: to cant or not to cant please?????

Feedback Score

to cant or not to cant please?????

ok fellas i'm sure this has been cussed and discussed but i need to know for my specific weapon and needs. ok i'm putting together what i guess would be called a designated marksman rifle. it'll be a colt ar15a4 20" rifle in 5.56mm with a leupold vx-6hd 1-6 with the firedot ret and cds turrets. i'm planning on shooting the black hills 77 grain otm load going round 2,750 fps at the muzzle. i'm also planning on using the adm delta cantilevered mount. the shots will be 600 yards and in. so, what are y'alls thoughts on 0 moa vs 20 moa cant for my needs? the leupold has 170 moa of travel so that'd be what 85 moa up and 85 moa down? my plans are to zero at 100 yds and dial from there to 600 yds. most shots would be 100-440yds with some out to 600 yds thrown in. what say y'all please?

Big Ed

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    We've never found a downside to a 20 MOA base. We even have a 40 MOA base on one of the 223 bolt guns for reaching out to the mile. And that's not a problem for short range (100 yards and out) stuff either. My opinion is that a 20 MOA/mount base is a good choice.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    For 600yds, it wont matter.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah. You're only coming up around 6 mils at that distance. But I guarantee you'll hate yourself if you get to shoot farther and your turret maxes out. Doing that free ball holdover is sub-optimal.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I just ran some quick calculations.

BH 77g @ 2648 fps zero at 100 yds.
    To shoot 1000 yds would be a 54 MOA correction.

No need for a 20 MOA rail.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I think 0 moa would be fine. It’s what I use with my SPR/Razor with 34mm tube, and it is used for your described needs, though with 69gr@2850. I’m sure a 20 moa mount would be fine, too.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fedupflyer View Post
    No need for a 20 MOA rail.
    There's no need, until there's a need. My though is better to have and not need.

The other factor is how close the scope mounts to mechanical zero. He could luck out and have 18 mils of come up on a standard mount. Or he could crap out and just have 8 mils.

We've never installed a 20 and couldn't get it zeroed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    There's no need, until there's a need. My though is better to have and not need.

The other factor is how close the scope mounts to mechanical zero. He could luck out and have 18 mils of come up on a standard mount. Or he could crap out and just have 8 mils.

We've never installed a 20 and couldn't get it zeroed.
    I was basing it on him having 80+ MOA of up adjustment or 170 MOA of total travel and I was giving an extreme example.
    For him to get out to 600yds he only needs something in the 20 MOA up travel (or less) range.
    Last edited by fedupflyer; 05-07-24 at 18:36.

Feedback Score
    If it doesn't cost anything, I would say why not. If it does, I would say why.

I never have served in an infantry unit. But perhaps a DMR needs to be reasonably quick to engage a target? Scope with bcd reticle with ranging features may be more appropriate, i.e. holding over rather than dialing in. Or perhaps combination of dialing and holding over?

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    thanks guys for the perspectives and answers and keep em coming. i read something about with a true 1x which i believe the leupold vx-6hd is that with a canted base something screwy might happen with something to the effect of shooting with both eyes open the image wouldn't look quite right through the scope vs the eye not looking through the scope. have any of y'all the use a canted base noticed such?

Big Ed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast