Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 12" 6.5 Grendel Update 5 month Review

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    PS, that 1" grid surface the guns are laying on-- where can I get that? I've been using giftwrap paper that has 1" squares on the back sometimes on a target backer to facilitate knowing where to dial things. Works fine but if that stuff you have might work better so I'd like to know about it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    PS, that 1" grid surface the guns are laying on-- where can I get that? I've been using giftwrap paper that has 1" squares on the back sometimes on a target backer to facilitate knowing where to dial things. Works fine but if that stuff you have might work better so I'd like to know about it.
    I make my own clothing and gear, so those are cutting table self-healing mats commonly found at fabric stores.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    LRRPF, if you did not plan to run suppressed, would you still stick with the 12" or go up to 14.5 to get a bit more steam yet stay in your general length envelope?
    No. It handles really well as a 12" and isn't anywhere near as loud as a 10.3" 5.56, for example. I shot it that way while I was waiting for my can to get out of jail, and it's quite pleasant. Velocity gains from 12" to 14.5" would be anywhere from 50-100fps, barrel and load dependent. A 14.5" with FH is still pretty compact with velocity not too far off of a 16" though. I'm looking at converting at least one of my 18" Grendels to 13.7" with a P&W brake, namely the Tranquilo. That brings it to 16" so I can leave the rest of the rifle as-is.

Impact on steel is pretty loud, since it starts out with more muzzle energy than a 20" 5.56 rifle, with BCs that are substantially higher than anything you could hope to load in 5.56 NATO.

In practical terms, it's like taking a Colt Commando profile gun that hits with more energy than an AK in CQM (without AK recoil), then has hit probability like an SR25 at distance. I wish I would have done a short barrel long ago, but the stupid SBR garbage with ATF turned me off to that route, since I cross State lines a lot throughout the year for different shooting events. (I now know you can file your paperwork to include travel dates from 01JAN-31DEC.)

The evolution and refinement of pistol braces got rid of that excuse for me, and I can treat it like any other handgun in the eyes of the law now as a result.

As far as making hits on steel plates goes, the only main difference I see between this and an 18" for example, is it's a little jumpier, but I haven't shot it with a bipod yet. I normally shoot the 18" Grendels with bipods or tripods.

In all honesty, I don't have enough scope on this little blaster, so I've been looking at March Optics 1-8x24 Mini, which is so small, only one scope ring with fit on it.

I'm building some more 12" guns as we speak. If I could have done this one over had it been available at the time, I would have used the LaRue Stealth 2.0 upper/handguard for it and gone with the Ultra 7 TBAC can, not the Ultra 5. There is a bit of a pop with the Ultra 5 .30 cal on such a short barrel, which TBAC told me there would be, but I really like the Ultra 5 and how quiet it is on 18" and 20" Grendels (Hollywood). I've got to listen to Ultra 5s at various matches ever since it came out when RO'ing, so I know how quiet it is, plus mine weighs 7.4 ounces.

What you get with an SBR/Pistol Grendel is:

* More energy at the muzzle than 20" 5.56 NATO
    * Unexpected supersonic reach and transonic stability for such a small package (900yds supersonic at sea level/STD with 123gr Scenar or SMK)
    * More retained energy at 400yds than a 20" .30-30 Win. 150gr has at 200yds
    * Excellent barrier defeat on vehicles and cinder blocks
    * Excellent soft tissue terminal performance with controlled expansion projectiles (deep penetration and double caliber expansion)
    * Kills medium game like other center fire rifles that have more recoil and muzzle blast
    * AR15 compact platform and parts availability
    * 25rd magazine capacity

It's a little do-all combination really.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The March would be quite an upgrade. I wonder if someone (maybe March) is making a set of rinds where the front one is larger? I'd find that more comforting than a single ring, even one that was say 40mm long.

I'm testing a March 1-10 and it's top-notch.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    OP, can share the overall length? Both with and without suppressor. Thanks.
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    30" with the can and the PDW Brace collapsed.

26.75" without the can, collapsed.

Will be shooting a bunch of 123gr ELD-M through it shortly, in freezing temps.

Feedback Score
    OP, I have been looking at building something similar having been inspired by this build.

I'm curious, since your build is running well, what buffer setup did you choose with the maxim defense brace?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IndustrialHalo View Post
    OP, I have been looking at building something similar having been inspired by this build.

I'm curious, since your build is running well, what buffer setup did you choose with the maxim defense brace?
    The short spring and tiny buffer than came with the Maxim. The buffer is 2.9 ounces like a carbine buffer, but it is really short.

The spring is short, but very stiff and provides very positive return to battery.

I'm doing another one with the SBA3 brace on a standard carbine RET.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Just ordered a 12.5 Atheris Rifle 6.5 Grendel Upper to swap with my 19.5" 300 Blk upper on my suppressed SBR. Posted in the wrong forum, but incredibly excited for this to arrive and getting out to the range to try it out based on your experiences.

Feedback Score
    Hmmmm.

I have been planning a 6.5 Grendel build.
    But was planning a 18-20".

Now I am having second thoughts..

Nice build.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast